How to setup Microsoft Office 2013 KMS Host on Windows Server 2008 R2

The KMS Host installation and activation process for Microsoft Office 2013 is similar to the one for Microsoft Office 2010.

Installation of the update that adds support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 KMS hosts is required for a successful installation of the KMS Host.  The update can be downloaded from the link

STEP 1: If you have not downloaded and installed the update to add support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to Windows 2008 R2 KMS host, please do so by accessing the link and downloading and installing the appropriate update.

STEP 2: Download the Microsoft Office 2013 Volume License Pack from the Microsoft Download Center (MSDL) site

STEP 3: Double-click the downloaded EXE to run it:

STEP 4: Click Yes on the "Would you like to enter a Microsoft Office 2013 KMS host product key …" prompt and enter the KMS Host Key:

STEP 5: Key installed and activated:

1. The KMS Host key for Office 2013 should activate all Office 2013 family products.  No additional keys should be required.

2. Frank,

Yes, it can be installed on the same server as the one for the OS.

3. Yes Dharmendra. You can have the same KMS server host multiple products.

4. Yes, both the Office 2010 and Office 2013 KMS Hosts can coexist on the same server.

5. Brian says:

Thanks for the walk through — just what I was looking for.

6. Kirk says:

I have added the Excel 2013 KMS key. But if I want to add additional keys do I run t he slmgr command?

7. Frank says:

Can this be installed on the same Server 2012 server that is doing the KMS for the Operating Systems too (Server 2012 Datacenter)?  Or would it have to be installed on a separate KMS server?

8. Frank says:

Great.. Thanks for the great article and quick response.. 🙂

9. hosting says:

Great and very interesting blog. I think it’s also an informative. Thanks for sharing.

10. Hitesh P says:

Excellent –

Server 2008 R2

Installed Office 2013 pro Plus with Volume License

MSFT gave me Setup Key, KMS and MAK..

Went thru your procedure and working now…

11. Basam Y says:

I tried this and was not able to get this to work.  Installed on Windows 2008 R2 (KMS Host).  My Windows 8.1 machine will not activate it's Office 2k13.  I look at the Key Management Service logs in event viewer and I see that my machine is contacting the server.  Any ideas?

12. thomas says:

Great article,

we are already using the Microsoft Office 2010 KMS Host. If we upgrade to 2013, will the Office 2010 clients still be able to active?

13. Dharmendra says:

I have windows 8 Os Kms activation Server can i install office 2013 KMS activation on same server

14. jimmy says:

W2K8R2 Enterprise server, since it was deployed was activating W2K8 servers and Win7 PC's no added update for Windows 2012 server and works fine, as well as Office 2010.
    Problem is with Office 2013, and when I try to install 2757817 update, will not work. error comes out: The update is not applicable to your computer. I cannot install office2013volumelicensepack_x86_en-us as well, because of the required update.

Any help, advice is appreciated.