In the words of Anthony Salcito, Vice President for Microsoft Worldwide Education, "sometimes all it takes for an amazing project to be born is the ability to listen."
"It was March 2013, and Jonathan Grudin was attending the Workshop on the Impact of Pen and Touch Technology on Education (WIPTTE). It’s not immediately apparent from his unassuming aura, but Jonathan is actually a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research and somewhat of a legend within Microsoft and beyond as a pioneer in computer-supported cooperative work (CSCW). With years of experience and groundbreaking research contributions, Jonathan certainly has a lot to share, but on this day his ability to listen allowed him to truly hear the needs of educators around the world, planting a young seed in his mind that would come to be nurtured by passionate peers in the company to become the OneNote Class Notebook Creator."
So, what is the OneNote Class Notebook Creator?
OneNote Class Notebook Creator lets teachers set up an ideal OneNote environment for their classes in minutes. With this SharePoint app for Office 365, teachers will quickly set up a personal workspace for every student, a content library for handouts, and a collaboration space for lessons and creative activities, all within one powerful OneNote notebook. OneNote class notebooks free the teacher to focus on learning, not software or a device. Student work and teacher feedback are exchanged automatically in one place virtually anytime, anywhere.
This app will create a class notebook, which includes three types of sub-notebooks:
Student Notebooks – private notebooks that are shared between each teacher and their individual students. Teachers can access these notebooks at any time, but students cannot see other students’ notebooks.
Content Library – a notebook for teachers to share course materials with students. Teachers can add and edit its materials, but for students, the notebook is read-only.
Collaboration Space – a notebook for all students and the teacher in the class to share, organize, and collaborate.
With OneNote powering your class learning experiences, join teachers around the world who:
• Empower students to take naturally visual notes with ease—place images, text, printouts, tables, ink, screenshots, and files anywhere in OneNote’s “anything, anywhere” freeform canvas
• Keep tabs on student performance—see exactly which students soar and struggle by observing their full learning process, from note-taking, to problem solving, to submission
• Revolutionize homework feedback with real-time coaching while students work
• Encourage collaborative creativity between students with fast synchronization on pages
• Lead class with OneNote projected in full screen mode as the digital whiteboard
• Eliminate paper by replacing printouts on paper with printouts to OneNote
• Organize every lesson, handout, and assignment in flexible shared notebook structure
• Combine OneNote with the creative power of digital ink to deliver the most natural digital educational experiences possible
You can find fantastic, easy to follow, step-by-step set up instructions right here. Below is a sneak peak into what you'll get to do. We'd love to hear about your experiences with the OneNote Class NoteBook Creator - tweet us at @MSNZEducation!