You may have heard, Windows 8.1 has been released today! We are very pleased to announce that it is available for free download right here. If you have a PC running Windows 8, there are a huge variety of reasons to upgrade to the new version. This update will introduce you to many useful tools and we can’t wait to see what you think of them!
So, what’s new in Windows 8.1?
- Start faster. The Start button has returned to the desktop—tap or click to get to Start. If you prefer, you can now go straight to the desktop when you sign in, or use the same background for both your desktop and Start. And see all your apps at once in the new all-apps view.
- Search everywhere. With Bing smart search you can search once and see everything—from the web, or the settings, files and apps on your PC—and act on search results right away. Play a song, call a friend, open an app, or get to your favorite site. Just search and do. (Certain features unavailable in some regions.)
- Do more at once. Chat while gaming, shop while watching, or work while listening. Depending on your screen size, you can now see up to four apps on your screen at once and move through all the ways you use your PC with ease.
- Get more apps. In the redesigned Windows Store, you’ll discover apps built only for Windows 8.1, new community favorites, and personalized recommendations. This update also gives you some great new built-in apps like Reading List and Food + Drink. And now you’ll be able to install your apps on all your tablets and PCs running Windows 8.1.
- Use it your way. On your Start screen, there are more tile sizes, more color options, and animated backgrounds. On your lock screen, you can see a slide show of your favorite photos and take photos—all without unlocking your PC.
- Type smoothly. The updated touchscreen keyboard learns as you type, making suggestions based on what you’ve written. If you use multiple languages, you can type text more easily with new keyboard layouts. Emoji are now in color.
- Always have your files. Save documents, photos, and other files to SkyDrive automatically so you’ll have them anywhere—even on another device. And they’ll be safe if something happens to your PC.
- Browse better. Internet Explorer 11 has faster load times, a full-screen experience that includes side-by-side browsing of sites, and real-time info from favorite sites delivered to your Start screen.