Upgrade/Migrate SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 using content database attach method
When you upgrade from Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 to Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 by using the database attach approach, you upgrade only the content for your environment and not the configuration settings. Using a database attach upgrade is useful when you are changing hardware or want to reconfigure your server farm topology as part of the upgrade process.
Before you can upgrade the data, you must configure a new server or server farm by using SharePoint Server 2010. This article explains the elements you need to configure to create that new environment. For more information about the general process of upgrading by using the database attach upgrade approach,
To perform the steps in this article, you must have administrator rights on the local server computer. For more information
Before you begin to create the new environment for a database attach upgrade, review the following information about permissions, hardware requirements, and software requirements.
- Ensure that you have met all hardware and software requirements. You must have a 64-bit version of Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2. For server farms, you must also have a 64-bit version of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008. For more information about these requirements (such as specific updates that you must install), http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/library/cc262485(en-us).aspx .
- Ensure that you are prepared to set up the required accounts by using appropriate permissions. For detailed information, see Administrative and service accounts required for initial deployment (SharePoint Server 2010). http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/library/ee662513(en-us).aspx
- Run the pre-upgrade checker on your original environment. The pre-upgrade checker identifies potential upgrade issues in your environment so that you can address them before you upgrade. It can also help you identify settings that you need in your new environment. For more information, see Run the pre-upgrade checker (SharePoint Server 2010).
It gives ypou adetailed report in the form of a html file and txt file which tells you about the warnings and erors if any which you ahve to take care before upgradadtion otherwise the upgrade may fail if all errors ae not resolved .
1. Install SharePoint Server 2010 on the server or servers.
2. Configure service applications.
3. Configure general farm settings.
4. Create and configure Web applications.
5. Reapply customizations.
.Then only use following article to upgrade your content databases by attaching the cointent databse to SQL server and then to web applications by using powershell or stsadm command i.e.
stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://servername -databasename <wss_content> -databaseserver <sqlservername> -preserveolduserexperiece <true/false>
if you want to jkeep your old customizations , thenm selcet true fro preserverolduserexperience otherwise visual upgrade option after installation also allows you to preserver your customizations.
Lesson 2: Preparing to Upgrade to SharePoint 2010
WMV (204 MB)