With this latest version of the Microsoft Lync Server 2010 and 2013 Bandwidth Calculator, you can enter information about your users and the Lync Server features that you want to deploy, and the Bandwidth Calculator will determine bandwidth requirements for the WAN that connects sites in your deployment. The accompanying Bandwidth Calculator User Guide describes the recommended process for estimating your WAN bandwidth needs for Lync client real-time traffic.
Author: Mariusz Ostrowski, Microsoft UC Voice Architect
Published: June 7, 2013
Product version: Lync Server 2010, Lync Server 2013
The updated version 2.0 of the Lync 2010 and 2013 Bandwidth Calculator tool can be used to estimate network bandwidth consumption by Lync clients in enterprise WAN networks with either Lync 2010 or Lync 2013 deployments. It can also be used to size bandwidth needed for traffic of remote Lync users.
Figure 1: Scenarios for use
New Features and Improvements
Here are some of the new features and improvements:
* Scalability increased to 300 branch sites.
* The following types of Lync 2013 clients (in addition to Lync 2010 client):
- Lync 2013 client
- Lync 2013 VDI plugin
- Lync 2013 Web Application (LWA)
* Lync 2013 client new features that have influence over bandwidth consumption:
- Stereo audio codec support (in calls with Lync Room Systems)
- H.264 support for P2P calls and video conferencing calls
- Multiview Gallery support with new video traffic model
* Ability to select type of Lync client per persona, with both Lync 2010 and 2013 clients in mixed deployments or migration scenarios.
* Internet traffic calculations (traffic of remote Lync users).
* Traffic aggregation per user definable “QoS traffic classes.”
* “Custom thresholds” for addressing Lync deployments with very small branch sites.
About the Author
|Mariusz Ostrowski, Microsoft UC Architect, started his professional carrier nearly 20 years ago as a network engineer for a first Polish Internet Service Provider, and then he worked for Ericsson and Cisco on various VoIP/IPT/UC projects. He joined Microsoft in 2011 as a UC Architect in the global Microsoft Services Voice Center of Excellence team. He lives in Cracow, Poland.|
- Download the Lync 2010 and 2013 Bandwidth Calculator tool
Lync Server Resources
We Want to Hear from You
Keywords: Lync Server 2010, Lync Server 2013, bandwidth calculator