When deploying Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Mobility Service, you must install several components and patches. This can be a complex process and some automation could assist in deploying on-premise Lync servers. This article highlights a script I created to help administrators automatically deploy the Cumulative Update for Lync Server 2010: November 2011, along with the Lync Server 2010 Mobility Service and Lync Server 2010 Autodiscover Service.
Author: Sebastiaan Poels
Publication date: March 1, 2012
Product versions: Microsoft Lync Server 2010
Lync Server 2010 Mobility Service has been released. Mobile clients are available for Windows Phone, Android, and iOS. The infrastructure to support these clients requires deployment of the following components:
- Cumulative Update for Lync Server 2010: November 2011 on Lync Sever Front End.
- Lync Mobility Service and Autodiscovery Service.
- Set Global Policies.
This article helps administrators automatically deploy the CU4 update. I created a script based on the source of the Set-Lync2010Features script created by Pat Richards of Ehloworld. Using the script, the cumulative update installer is automatically downloaded into a folder on the server, the missing CU4 installed, and the Mobility and Autodiscover service deployed.
As an extra option, the internal Front End Web services certificate can be automatically renewed, because while deploying the Mobility Service and Autodiscovery Service, a new certificate with an extra SAN records.
The following steps require manual actions:
- Create the appropriate DNS record lyncdiscoverinternal.SIPDOMAIN.NAME & lyncdiscover.SIPDOMAIN.NAME. See Creating DNS Records for the Autodiscover Service for additional information.
- Publish through a reverse proxy server see Configuring the Reverse Proxy for Mobility.
- Update the hardware load balancer configuration.
For additional information how to update the load balancer configuration see Load Balancing Requirements and Hardware Load Balancer Requirements for Lync Server 2010.
Download the script from the TechNet Gallery at #Lync Mobile and #CU4 Quick Deployment Tool.
How to Use This Script
- For the Lync server on which the script is being executed, there must be internet access.
- For the Renew Certificate option, for both Standard and Enterprise Editions, the same certificate must be used and assigned for all three usages: Default, WebServicesInternal, and WebservicesExternal.
- For the Renew Certificate option, Internal CA must be deployed.
- Download the file from the TechNet Gallery.
- If needed, change the Windows PowerShell execution policy, see Running Scripts.
- Run the option, install Lync CU4 Updates (option 1), on every Lync Server in your topology through the Lync Management Shell.
- Run the script on each Lync Server Director and Lync Server Front End Server in your environment through the Lync Management Shell.
Note: During the deployment of the CU4 updates, an outage is required. Please schedule a maintenance outage and inform your end users!
In this article, we discussed how you can automatically deploy the components required to support Lync mobile clients. This script is a handy tool for automating the deployment of Lync Mobility Service. Special thanks to Pat Richard from Ehloworld for sharing his source.
IMPORTANT This script was tested in several lab environments. However, it is not guaranteed to perform as stated and must be used at your own risk.
- Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Mobility Guide
- Change the Web Services URL
- How to use and troubleshoot issues with Lync Mobile on Windows Phone 7 mobile devices
- How to use and troubleshoot issues with Lync Mobile on Apple iPhone and iPad mobile devices
- Technical Requirements for Mobility
Lync Server Resources
- Lync Server 2010 Documentation Library
- DrRez blog
- NextHop blog
- Lync Server and Communications Server resources