The address leases records in the DHCP Console have an icon with a pen instead of the usual computer icon even though the Host record for the DHCP Client machine is present in DNS.
The above icon indicates "Active lease, DNS dynamic update pending. This address is not available for lease by the DHCP server." DHCP is configured to "Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS" and "Update DNS only if DHCP client requests".
To correct this issue do the following:
- Create a reverse lookup zone in DNS for the subnet of the affected leases.
- Verify that both the Forward Lookup Zone and Reverse Lookup Zone allow Dynamic Updates (either Secure or Non-Secure).
- Delete the entry for the client machine from the Address Leases on the DHCP Server.
- Delete the Host record for the client machine from the DNS Server.
- Release the IP address of the client machine using IPCONFIG /RELEASE.
- Reboot the client machine.
Now the Address Lease should show the usual icon (computer icon without a pen).
DHCP console icons reference can be found at the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784812.aspx