It’s time again for a new Beta version of Network Monitor. Using your feedback we’ve added some compelling new features! One in particular is the ability to launch experts from the UI. And what use would this be without something to launch? We’ll also be releasing some cool experts, like Top Users and Simple Search. In fact Simple Search is already available, just use the Experts menu from a saved trace to connect to our Experts landing page. Return every so often to see what is new.
What’s an Expert? What is Simple Search?
An expert is a tool, run separately from Network Monitor that performs expert analysis on your trace data. For instance, Simple Search will allow you to search all trace data for strings and better yet, regular expressions! Need to find an email address or phone number, but don’t know exactly which one? A regular expression, using Simple Search, lets you find this type of string. Just launch the expert from the menu and search away.
But there’s so much more, so let’s list out what else is new.
What’s New in NM3.3 Beta
- Ability to capture on WWAN and Tunnel interfaces on Win7
- Critical fixes to NM3.3 to operate correctly with Hyper-V
- Right-click add to alias. Right-click a frame in the Frame Summary window with an IPv4, IPv6, or MAC address to add that address as a new alias.
- Right click go to definition: Right-click a field in the Frame Details windows and select Go To Data Field Definition or Go To Data Type Definition to see where the field is defined in the NPL parsers.
- Auto-scroll. See the most recent traffic as it comes in. In a live capture, click the Autoscroll button on the main toolbar to have the Frame Summary window automatically scroll down to display the most recent frames as they come in. Click Autoscroll again to freeze the view in its present location.
- Experts available online: Experts are stand-alone applications that analyze Network Monitor capture data. Various experts are available online at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=133950.
- Frame Comments: Attach comments to frames in a saved capture file. Select the Frame Comments tab in the lower-right window to add, view, edit, or delete comments.
- API Extensions: API methods have been added to enable access to conversation information, properties, field display strings, and comments.
- Ability to open ETL files and correlate information by Network Tracing scenario.
- See our Release Notes for a complete list of new features and known issues.
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!
The Beta is available on our connect site at https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=216. But it is only available as a download if you join Connect. By joining you’ll also get updated when we release and be able to file bugs with us if you find issues. So give NM3.3 Beta a test drive and please let us know what you think!
Provide feedback at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=142458 (you will need to login with your Connect Network Monitor credentials to see the Beta survey). Our voting website, input.microsoft.com has an expired certificate that we are working to renew. For now, you can tell your browser to ignore the expired certificate as we address this problem.