NM3 TV – Video Help for using NM3

If a picture is worth a thousand words, than a video must be worth, …30fps * 1000 * …uh…ok…, like a whole lot. So this blog is going to be devoted to providing short help videos to help understand how to use the features of NM3.

My original intention was to provide a cool Silverlight interface with the video right here on this page. But given the crawl, walk, run mantra for developing NM3, I decided to take that same approach here.

Here’s the list of videos, though not all are available now. I will continue to update the page as I complete each video.

Hopefully this increases your effectiveness with NM3. Feel free to provide feedback about other topics you’d like to see covered.

1. Paul E Long says:

You can cut and paste a selction of frames from the frame summary and it will store in the clipboard as a tab separated.  This will import directly into Excel.

You can also add columns for any property into the UI.

The only thing that is a bit more difficult is if you want to access data fields for which there are no properties created.  But you can get aroudn this by creating those properties yourself.

I’ve also got an internal tool that uses the API that allows you to select fields like a SQL statement.  The output of this is a comma separated table which can also be imported into to Excel.  I believe we will probably be putting tools like this on http://codeplex at some point.

2. Paul E Long says:

OK, Creating a new Parser is there now 🙂

More videos on filtering! There’s a lot of power there, but I’m not sure how to make the most of it. Thanks! Tom.

I don’t have a suggestion for a *different* topic but I would like to see the "Creating a new Parser" when it becomes available?  Any chance you want to work on that one next? Thanks for considering it!

great software! it is really help. Do NM 3.2 have a feature like PacketBone Bonelight to convert the trace file to Microsoft Excel format? this really useful for my troubleshooting and reporting

6. Paul E Long says:

I’m actually working on upgrading the quality of some of the videos.  I’m not sure it will make a big difference on the end quality, but perhaps you’ll notice something.

7. Paul E Long says:

I can look into Miro, however I’m not sure what the requirements are.  I don’t really have a bunch of webspace to store large video’s so this may be one problem.

BTW, these videos are also on YouTube. I plan to link to those as well on the blog with the next rev.

thank you. i can insert the videos from youtube to miro as a live feed. please upload them in as good quality as possible.

and thanx for sharing all this info with us, it’s a great help for sysadmins. =D

i would really like to download the new videos on this page automatically with miro…