Deploying Nano Server to a Bare-Metal Machine using a WIM and WinPE

This post is now obsolete. Please check out the updated post: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nanoserver/2016/07/29/bare-metal-machine-using-a-wim-and-winpe/

1. Paul Ferrill says:

Will this work with an SD card as the target?

2. @Paul: SD is not a supported scenario.

ref@

3. terrpan says:

Hello!

Will Nano be supported with bare-metal installations via SCVMM as well?

//Daniel

4. ML49448 says:

Hi,
    it would be nice to know if i can boot up Nano Server directly from a USB Stick?
    So for example deploy the nano Server vhd or wim to the USB Stick and boot directly from the it (without a boot sector on a Hard Disk).
    Thanks

5. Olivier Hault says:

Hello,

I agree, Nano Server should be far easier to deploy.

Olivier

6. Tilak Sidduram says:

@Refaat, i was able to get Nano Server to install using MDT 2013 Update 1 . I did not customize the NanoServer.wim, prior to adding it into MDT. I just added the NanoServer.wim file to the OS section and the packages to the packages section in MDT and
    created a Task Sequence. In the task sequence i added an flag to install updates offline and by doing this the selected packages got installed at installation time. This saves time in customizing the image.

Just wanted to share this info, but not sure if MS will actually support this method of installation.

7. @Tilak: Thanks for sharing. Yes, the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit is supported, and may provide an alternate way to customize and deploy a Nano Server image:

Thanks again.
    ref@

8. @Olivier – can you please elaborate on which parts of the installation you’re having difficulty with?

9. tony says:

Did I miss where you cover option 3? Deploy Nano Server with PXE and WDS using a WIM file.

10. Krishna says:

Hi,

Are you able to use Hyper V in Nano Server?

Thanks

11. Matt G. says:

@Refaat. Any idea why I get the following error upon running bcdboot?

BFSVC Warning: Resume application not found. Note, if you are servicing Windows PE or Windows RE boot files, you can ignore this message.
    BFSVC Error: Failed to get handle to the template store. Status = [c0000034]

All commands in the diskpart script executed successfully and I can validate that the N and S volumes are present and assigned their respective drive letters. I ran all commands above exactly as specified and everything was successful including the application
    of the WIM image. It’s only the bcdboot command that is failing.

For reference, this is the bare metal hardware I’m using:

* Intel NUC6I5SYK
    * SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW (note: I needed to add the Samsung drivers to the WinPE image in order to get diskpart to recognize the SSD)
    * Crucial 32GB (2 x 16G) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model CT2K16G4SFD8213

12. Gert says:

@Matt G. Did you find a solution to you’re problem? I have the exact same error on my NUC as well.

13. Gert says:

14. JRPritchard says:

@Krishna: Yes you can use NanoServer as a Hyper-V host. Listed on the Technet docs as a good use case, due to the lower resource utilisation of the host operating system, and fewer restarts/maintenance.