Windows 7 Service Pack 1 available through Windows Update

Hi All,

Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 is now available on the Download Center (DLC) and also through Windows Update and WSUS.  On February 9th, we announced the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) of SP1.  For Windows 7, SP1 will help keep your PCs well supported by delivering ongoing updates, many of which have been made previously available through Windows Update. It also includes client-side support for RemoteFX and Dynamic Memory which are two new virtualization features enabled in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. For more information on the changes with SP1, see the notable changes document on TechNet.

Here’s a short list of the tools and guidance that’s available for SP1:

If you’re managing systems that connect directly to WU, you can use the updated Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit to prevent WU from offering SP1 to your client computers.

For more information about SP1, refer to the SP1 Frequently Asked Questions on TechNet.

For help with deployment related questions, you should read this blog post on the Windows team blog.

We hope this information helps you prepare to deploy SP1.

The MU Team

I don't know where to send catalog update requests- since MS doesn't have a suggestion box- so I figured I'd add them here.

Windows installer 4.5 KB942288 , reasoning: allows for update chaining, Multiple Package Transaction, etc.  essentially it makes updates smaller.  It's kinda silly that it isn't apart of MS Updates considering the whole premise behind WSUS and Microsoft Updates is to deploy updates to clients in smaller packages.

SQL Native Client updates.  It is impossibly getting SQL Native Client versions updated on client machines.

Remote Desktop Protocol v7 for XP and Vista + enable CredSSP by default in XP.  To do all of this you have to install the update manually and enable registry keys to support Network Level Authentication in Windows XP.  I don't see why it shouldn't be pushed via updates by default at this point.

thanks

3. icerabbit says:

Does this fix the short delay options problems for automatic restart popup?

I really want the option to say: install updates after next shut down. Too many times has the machine rebooted itself after I picked the delay of 4 hours only to loose browser sessions, the setup of open programs and work in progress, … Fortunately I tend to hit save on any document when I leave my desk, but I am seriously annoyed by the limited postpone restart options.

Really wish there was a " manual override " in that popup, because I like the convenience of automatic updates, want to do the right thing, etc vs turning off automatic updates all-together.

4. Thijs Roden says:

I'd also wish for a manual override, but that's up to the creators….

—-

5. icerabbit says:

I agree, Thijs.

The other thing MS should realize is that quite a number of people use multiple monitors, and the alert on the primary screen can be missed when you are focused on another screen.

I postponed restart three times yesterday. This morning, a few minutes into work, focused on the spreadsheet & code on my 24" screens, it popped up on my primary screen that it was counting down to restart …

There really should be additional options to make this user friendly.

6. sirwan says:

i have problem with auto update w7 it dosen't do it it self tried to install it failed.

7. Dieter Joseph says:

Attention all the people moaning about a manual overide and postpone restart problems….

Save your work. Close your applications and restart your computer.  While this is happening go and get a coffee and stretch your legs… make some small talk with your work mates.  Return back to your desk, and log on.  Problem solved.

If you are a market trader, using something like BloomBerg Anywhere applications, then your IT staff should have patch deployment and restarts scheduled for out of hours, along with a proper structure in place for non interruption of service from Windows Updates.

Compared with updates and patch mangement, circa 2002, it is a 100% better. Credit to Microsoft for actually being really sharp and efficient in the area of updates and patches.

DJ

8. Cin2ray@charter.net says:

Update Windows XP (KB2564958) Failed

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0xD0000005

(931)381-1779

9. john says:

My windows update is turned off and I can't change it

10. Hi John :are you running xp? says:

if so reboot computer when on startup tap { F 8}} Scroll down scan or debug or best internet when working. ok

11. Qasim says:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

Installation date: ‎1/‎27/‎2012 10:50 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070005

Update type: Important

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a recommended collection of updates and improvements to Windows that are combined into a single installable update. The service pack can help make your computer safer and more reliable. A typical installation will take about 30 minutes to complete, and you will have to restart your computer about halfway through the process.

More information:

go.microsoft.com/fwlink

Help and Support:

go.microsoft.com/fwlink

12. shopi says:

Intersting and beautiful blog lovely presentation thanks for sharing your views…<a href="http://www.we24support.com/…/microsoft-windows-vista.html">microsoft windows vista</a> We24support tech team are available 24/7 for repairs on computers, printers, laptops, desktops. Our tech team taken to new heights with our technician’s knowledge and support.at 1-866-978-0799 <a href="http://www.we24support.com/…/microsoft-windows-vista.html">Microsoft Windows Vista support</a>

13. bremah says:

i installed windows 7 ultimate but cannot get updates

14. khaled says:

i installed windows 7 ultimate but cannot get updates

15. clement says:

my laptop is showing big icons what can l do

16. sawyehtike2004 says:

i need my laptop levnovo diver because i forgot it my town home.

17. Moezet says:

ineed my laptop toshiba available window

18. tina says:

i need current window updates on m toshiba laptop

19. grpayne@windstream.net says:

I am unable to download and install new updates automatically or manually on my computer.  I am running Windows 7 XP Professional.  I am a senior senior citizen and could really use your help getting my update program back on the track.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Gordon

20. anioniem says:

microsoft is suck,jullie geven me hier vista en ik zit hier met windows 7 op me pc hoeveel  pc zullen er weer snuvelen doro microsoft sukkelaars

21. Tas says:

i think it’s great how you can update to the latest service pack through windows

22. WINDOWS 7 SERVICE PACK says:

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

23. carlo says:

tried windows 10 then went back to windows 7 know havent got a real copy and my product key has gone too can antone help me im at a lost