Windows Vista RTM and Windows XP SP2 End of Support

Hi All,

Here’s a reminder for people running Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista RTM or SP1. Service packs are important for many reasons. They are a rollup of previously released Windows updates, and they typically contain software improvements that aren’t released in a stand-alone update. Service Packs are a part of Microsoft’s support policy. When a new Windows Service Pack is released, Microsoft will provide 24 months of support for the previous service pack. When support ends, we typically do not release new updates for the unsupported platforms. This includes Security Updates.

On April 13th 2010, support ended for Windows Vista RTM (no service pack installed). To continue getting updates and support, Windows Vista users need to install Windows Vista SP1, and we strongly recommend installing Windows Vista SP2. On July 13th 2010, support ended for Windows XP SP2. To continue getting updates and support, Windows XP users need to install Windows XP SP3.

What do you need to do?
Vista users should install Windows Vista SP1 & SP2 using Windows Update (WU). Windows XP customers should install Windows XP SP3 using Automatic Updates (AU) or the
Microsoft Update site. You may need to install other available updates before a Service Pack is offered to you in WU or AU. Service Pack installation is always recommended through Windows Update, due to AU/WU’s ability to reduce the size of the download and manage the download process. Windows XP SP3 requires a 316mb download through the Microsoft Download Center and the typical download through AU/WU is ~70mb.

Thanks!

The MU Team

1. Top Online Universities says:

Service Packs are a part of Microsoft’s support policy.  When a new Windows Service Pack is released, Microsoft will provide 24 months of support for the previous service pack. When support ends,

2. Paul Shemmell says:

Auto-restart… why? I know why; the old chestnut of keeping end-users protected vs annoying as hell potential to lose all unsaved work.

Am I right in thinking MS applications have been updated to deal with potential data loss; sort of the auto-recovery of Word?

Surely this is the wrong way of dealing with the issue? All applications in the World should not have to adapt to WU – WU should simply not create the potential for data loss. Data loss has got to be one of the single biggest issues with  PC's, in that through our use of PC's, we are always handling data, creating and editting. Our OS should not default to create scenarios where data loss is a regular occurance?

Yes, I appreciate I can change the behavior, through group policy editor. How do I tell my parents that? The Windows 7 Control Panel is a massive improvement over previous editions – and the logical location for  such a setting would be Windows Update through Control Panel. Instead, it's tucked out the way – I assume because it's concluded it should be a setting available to Power Users?

Ask technical and none-technical users; I'd be suprised if this wasn't one of the biggest annoyances with Windows. It might not be the first thing in their mind (turning off the setting in GPE is something I always forget to do once my annoyance has died down – but I will be doing it now.), buti if you prompt them with "What do you think about the way Windows auto-restarts after updates?

Giving the option of no nagging for 10 mins – 4 hours doesn't help in a World of PC's being always on. Where is "Yes, I understand, now please leave me alone until I choose to restart." I believe it a pretty fundimental HCI principle that the PC should be under the control of the user; not the user under the control of the PC.

Final growl – I thought Windows had brought in hot-patching? Why do I still have to restart after so many updates?

Sorry for such a growl-ie comment, but it's an issue I feel passionately about, and always forget to seek out a place to vent my frustrations. I hope this was the most logical place.

3. Paul Shemmell says:

Sorry, just to add as I sit here reflecting: Why is turning off auto-restart tucked out of the way for Power Users, but I can turn off anti virus and firewall through Control Panel? Yes, there are plenty of warnings, but it's do-able. The logical place for an auto-restart toggle would be under security in Action Center?

Just looking at the Windows Update dialog now – I do want the convinience of 'Installing Updates Automatically' – but let me decide when to complete installation. Please?

4. analiza de villa says:

how will i would be able to update my window from window xp to window 7?

5. Mouse Driver says:

sir.  I need to down load a driver for my computer to run the pointer on the mouse.  Can i get one from you?   ( Free download  )  My computer is windows XP on Acer.

6. Steve says:

i like this windows xp its great i hope it will be around for along time yet

7. بسام says:

نفسي اعرف وندوز فيستا ليش ثقيل وبرامجه اقل وعادة ماتظبط البرامج لانه انا بستخدم فيستا اتمنى استفيد ومراسلتي منكم marl_x@hotmail.com

8. terry says:

windows xp is being fased out by vista and vista is being fased out by windows 7 when is going to stop ??all is being done is forcing people to by your new software that will be not much better than what they have!!!

9. MARISOL says: