Enabling Microsoft Update to keep Office 2003, Office XP, and other Microsoft Products Secure and Up-To-Date

Hi Folks –

We want to remind everyone that enabling Microsoft Update and keeping your computer up-to-date will give you the best possible experience with Windows.   Are you wondering about the difference between Windows Update and Microsoft Update?  Windows Update offers updates for Windows and drivers for your hardware and devices.  Microsoft Update offers updates for Windows, other Microsoft software, and drivers.  So, if you have any version of Microsoft Office installed on your computer, or any other Microsoft software, then you should enable Microsoft Update. Otherwise you won’t even get security updates for your other Microsoft software.

Enabling Microsoft Update gives you updates for more software, it doesn’t change how you get updates.  If you use Windows XP, you can find the updates through Automatic Updates or by visiting the Microsoft Update Website.  If you use Windows Vista, you can find all available updates in the Windows Update control panel.

So, you’re probably wondering how to “opt-in”, or “enable” Microsoft Update, or check your configuration and stay up to date.  It’s very easy, just follow the steps below:

1.  To enable Microsoft Update and verify your update settings, click here:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=146977.

Note:   If you’re a Windows Vista user, this link will take you to the Windows Update Control Panel “applet”.

A.  On Vista, on the Control Panel App, if you have not enabled Microsoft Update your Control Panel Windows Update screen will look like this and you will see the Get updates for more products link in a yellow highlighted area.  Simply click Get updates for more products, to start the Microsoft Update install and scan process:

B.  On Windows XP, clicking the above link will take you to the Microsoft Update page.  If Microsoft Update is already enabled you can check to see if you need updates for Windows, other Microsoft programs, or your hardware of devices from this page.  If you have not yet enabled Microsoft update, you will see this page.  Simply click Start now and follow the steps to install Microsoft Update.

2.       Regardless of your Windows version or your automatic update settings, you can always check for new updates and new software available through Microsoft Update.  If you are a Windows XP user click here:  http://update.microsoft.com/. If you are a Windows Vista user (or Windows 7 Beta user), you can open the Start menu, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Thank you!

The MU Team

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

Our friends on the Microsoft Update team have posted a reminder on their team blog that opting in to

microsoft secure itself a beautiful and very well brought congratulate levels also would like to thank my

nice thank you for sharing your story with us respectfully

How can I enable Microsoft Update by using Group Policy?

Thank you for useful information, my friend

This thread is priceless, I’m glad I found it. Happy returns!

Yeah I’m glad I found it too. Good to know useful stuff is always there when you need it!

Like Matthias, I would also like to know if there is a way to configure this without visiting the website.  Can this be accomplished with a reg tweak or replacing WU related files?  Or at least a stand-alone installer?

Hi folks, I’d like to give some feedback on a reproducable problem which I believe is a bug in Windows Update.

Basically, everytime I do a complete system restore in Vista (with or without SP1), then Windows Update looses it’s settings for other product updates.

Yes, Windows Update works fine for Microsoft products – but somehow it looses the fact that I also opted in to receive updates for Office and other products!

Also, when I click the lightbulb in Windows update to opt-in .. I get sent to the windows update site and receive and error. The KB to fix the error suggestions I delete the software distribution directory in windows and restart the windows update service. This of course deletes all my history of windows update but STILL the same problem exists!

I’ve been able to repro this 3 times now. The solution to get it fixed – after I spoke to PSS – was to reset internet explorer and delete all my cookies and settings. Now I do NOT want to do this a 3rd time — all of my passwords and settings are in my cookies and I do not want to have to reauthenticate on 15+ websites etc.

Please can you look into this — it’s simple to repro — just opt in to all updates, complete backup and complete restore — and see that the Opt in for other products feature is broken!

Alternatively, is there any way I can identify just the cookies that WU uses in my IE cookies so I can fix this?

Many thanks…

update on something useful to tell people thank you for yours truly

Hi all.

What about new beta program for MU? I listen that you invite some MU CTP program member to new beta program but I don`t see new nomination survey & download section is not available for me too.

Best regards

Stanislav.

something nice to have Office 2003 and Office XP updateleri The effort was good in the hands of expression thanks to the health

dont you use office 2007

I have installed windows its gr8 man but facing problem while updating office 2003 from net it downloads packages but dosen’t installs them plz help

Regards

Ashwin

Hello,

I’d like to activate microsoft update, but I need to  automate this process on windows XP pro. Does anybody know about a "microsoft update agent" which is possible available? So that I don’t need to click to activate microsoft update (not windows update) over internet explorer. Just setup.exe and go.. like windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe…

best regards

Matthias

How can I enable Microsoft Update by using Group Policy?

Introducing such a topic you’d like to congratulate you’ve let us know. Have good work.

microsoft works very well in this regard have to do timely updates to our

How can I enable Microsoft Update by using Group Policy?

How can I enable Microsoft Update by using Group Policy’s?

Thank you describe picture was beautiful

I have read your post completely and picture your expression was beautiful thank

yes I would like to know how / if it’s possible to get my Microsoft Update working while using the group policy settings.

It sure does come in handy, that tool.

Lately, about four months now, I’ve been getting the error 0x8007007F when I visit the update site. I’ve used every possible fix I could find but of no avail.

After a clean install, to my surprise, I receive the error 0x8DDD0004 briefly. Now I’m getting the same error as before !? The 0x8DDD0004 error is -apparantly- not as bad as 0x8007007F; which actually means you’re in "dll hell". It doesn’t matter what I try to update or fix. I either get an "entry point not found" error or nothing at all (seems) to happen. Does anybody know how to get this fixed ???

Microsoft operating system products in the program in about a really great way to come I congratulate themselves

I prefer to run Windows Update manually

Microsoft Office 2003 is the best nobody can change them

Hi MU Team!

Is there any reason why Microsoft Update isn’t on by default? Why do we have Windows Update and Microsoft Update? Surely everyone would be more secure if there was only MU?

Thanks, Alex.

I prefer to keep Windows 2000 on my PC

Unfortunately I do not like Vista very much. my favorite xp

Microsoft Office 2003 is the best nobody can change them.

34. U2 Pas says:

through GPO its only possible embedded in logon scripts.

Wuaueng.dll in System32 needs to be at least 7.0.6000

example.vbs:

Set ServiceManager = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.ServiceManager")

ServiceManager.ClientApplicationID = "My App"

'add the Microsoft Update Service, GUID

Set NewUpdateService = ServiceManager.AddService2("7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d",7,"")

35. Disappointed says:

Wrong.. XP SP3, use link http://update.microsoft.com/

get bounced to support.microsoft.com/…/2497281 always.

36. OzWaz says:

This link –go.microsoft.com/fwlink goes to a ‘Windows Update’ advice page.This is very confussing as you have stated that "window" updates are "microsoft’ updates or
    are they now one and the same entity and this page’s advice is now redundant ?

37. dlenef says:

After installing MS Office 2003 on a Win / 32bit computer and activating it, each Office program I open requests that I accept Terms and Conditions EVERY TIME I open it.. How to get rid of this problem?

38. Chris Thomas says:

Wonderful advice if only it worked. I have a newly installed and activated Windows 7 and Office 2003. I followed the advice with result zilch. The link simply causes Windows Update to run less the Office 2003 updates. Where can I access Office 2003 updates?

Useless!

39. Steve says:

I have Office 2003. How can I read .docx and .xlsx files that i get as attachments to emails?

40. Lemonadesoda says:

Do it manually. Install MS Office 2003. Download and install SP3. Download and install the latest updates in 2014 here
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43570. Download and install Office Compatibility pack to read docx and xlsx. Done.

41. Tunji says:

Hi,
    I incidentally opted out of Microsoft Update, now I no more receive updates.
    Please how can I opt in back. Please you can send help to my email. Thank you.
    libafeck@yahoo.co.uk