.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Package Clarification

Hi Folks,

We’ve been noticing some questions regarding the recent update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 titled “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847)”.  This update includes a full family update for .NET Framework bringing versions 2.0 and greater, up to version 3.5 SP1, as well as a small compatibility update for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

If you already have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed, you will be offered this update as an Important Update.    If you do not have .NET Framework 2.0 or higher installed, then you will be offered a Recommended Update.    For those users who already have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed, only the app compatibility update will be installed as part of this update; for all other users, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 will be installed, followed by the compatibility update.

Hope this helps,

The MU Team

very nice, thank you, my friend mentions a topic

Removing this package version was good thanks

net framework of a system as being good news to be updated thanks microsoft

I have tried downloading this update twice. And after the computer restarts to install normally, The next time I start it up I get "windows start up failure" and have to use system restore to put it back to before I installed this update.

Actually, 2 out of every 3 times I install any MS updates I have start up failure and have to restore, What is going on?

I am running Windows 7 Build 7077.

I have very little problems with most Micriosoft Software – Windows Live, Office Live Office 2007 Pro, and some 3rd Party Software.

However, .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 will not install – hence I am unable to install SQL Server 2008 Express, so have to run BCM and Accounting 2009 on SQL 2005 Express.

I would prefer to run 2008.

Is there a work around to install 3.5SP1; is there an update for Windows 7 in the pipeline?

Would really like to know.

framework system, thank you beautiful sp1 i quit

And *why* is KB951847 beeing offered as an important update to those systems which have "only" .NET Framework 2.0 installed?

*Why* is it, that on Windows XP systems the *complete Redistributable aka Full Package* version of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is beeing downloaded, which results in a 280 MB(!) download (including the Language Pack for those on non-english Windows XP systems) anyway?

Pushing KB951847 aka .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 + KB959209 this way is irresponsible not only but especially to those Windows XP systems, going online via small-band connections (Analog Modem or ISDN)!

Please get in contact with Scott Hanselman about these real issues and change the distribution of KB951847 at least for Windows XP systems ASAP!

Not really amused,

Freudi

Please add a check that Windows Installer 3.1 must be installed before KB951847 will in stall

————-

I’ve got failson on computers that have Windows XP SP2 and Windows Installer 3.0.

I found multiple: "EEHndlr FATAL: MSI DLL version is 3.0. Version 3.1 is required" inside WindowsUpdate.log of theirs.

However, I can’t understand why WSUS doesn’t push the Windows Installer 3.1 first, when it is approved from long ago!

It’s like a closed loop now: .NET Family Update is not installing because there’s no Windows Installer 3.1, and Windows Installer 3.1 doesn’t install because .NET Family Update fails first.

————

I get the same problem as fire dragon… is there any way to fix this…

fire dragon said:

useful information to people you pass have to congratulate you appreciate my good work

READ_THIS_MICROSOFT_KB_ARTICLE!!!   MUST_READ!!!!

I work on broken computers as a hobby.  I’ve come across a number of them that simply WILL NOT install the .net updates.  Right upfront, I’ll state that some are pirated – but others are almost certainly genuine installations of Windows.  I’m not sure, but it seems to me that most, if not all, have been installed via "unattended install" scripts.

Anyway – ALL of the ones that I’ve been able to doublecheck has one or the other of the two registry settings mentioned in that KB article.  Check those two registry keys, make certain that they are set to zero, or deleted, then run your installers again.

From the article:

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

There are two places in the registry where the DisableRollback policy value can be set. To resolve this problem, you must find out where the DisableRollback policy was set and remove or disable the setting.

To find out whether this property exists in your registry, run C:Regedit.exe and check the following locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsInstallerDisableRollback

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsInstallerDisableRollback

If the DisableRollback key exists and has a value of "1", delete the key or set the value of the key to "0". (You can also set DisableRollback through command-line instructions.) Microsoft recommends that administrators and developers not set this property if they use command line instructions to run Setup, or Setup will not work.

This and similar information-sharing my vocabulary expanded again.

thanks good update un framework was beautiful with all respect to everyone

net framework of a system as being good news to be updated thanks microsoft

admin 🙂

I remember a version of this version was very good yes thanks for sharing with us

mantolama da uzman ekip zorlu group size bir tel kadar yakınız http://www.discephemantolamafiyatlari.com

new version to help me out too thanks

very nice, thank you, my friend mentions a topic

framework to update the work of many injured people had been good good thanks to everyone respectfully

21. DAVID QUINONES SOTO says:

I HAVE DOWNLOADED .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 USING MOZILLA FIRE FOX 3.6 IT HAS BEEN WORKING FINE .. BUT I KEEP GETTING THE SAME UPDATE OVER AND OVER COMING FROM INTERNET EXPLORER..  ..I CLICK OK  IT START .TO DOWNLOAD AND AS SOON AS IT FINISH IT TELLS ME THAT THE DOWNLOAD FAILS..

22. John says:

Im have same problem as David above except mine just keeps reinstalling