Keeping Windows 7 Beta up-to-date with Microsoft Update and Windows Update

Hi Everyone!

As you may have heard, we recently released Windows 7 Beta. We’re very excited about this release and want to make sure you know how we’re going to support Windows 7 Beta with Windows Update and Microsoft Update. The first thing we want to mention is that it is a Beta release. So, please make sure you take a backup of your data before migrating to safely preview Windows 7 Beta. You should also read the release notes before installing Windows 7 Beta.

We will offer updates for Windows 7 Beta and updated drivers through Windows Update and Microsoft Update. We strongly recommend that you keep your Windows 7 Beta computers up-to-date, because this will ensure you have the best experience previewing Windows 7 Beta. Here are some tips for keeping your Windows 7 Beta computers up to date:

1.             Before you logon for the first time, you’ll see the prompt to “Set Up Windows.” Make sure you select the recommended settings for Windows, so Important and Recommended updates are installed automatically.

2.    Go to the following Web site to configure Microsoft Update, When you check for updates using Microsoft Update, you get the same updates available through Windows Update but you also get updates for other Microsoft software.

For the latest information on Windows 7 or to download the Windows 7 Beta, check out the Windows 7 Web site at

Thanks and happy previewing!!

The MU Team

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

2. matbaa says:

microsoft a thank you for everything was very good work and thank you message in windows 7 also shut out

3. web tasarim says:

Hi there,

Is there any reason why Microsoft Update is separate from Windows Update? It seems like bad security policy to install Office but never get any updates for it unless you happen to know how to turn on MU. I logged this as a Windows 7 bug but got the message back stating it was ‘by design’? Why and how is it helpful to me as an end user to jump through hoops in order to get the latest updates?

Thanks for the work you do. I’m sure it’s a significant technical challenge to reliably update Windows and other Microsoft software.

Cheers, Alex.

7 I want to install windows to find something beautiful I wonder how

6. Gisabun_1 says:

Any particular reason why .net framework 3.5 SP1 is being forced down just about everyone’s throats [I’m not being harsh here] as a required update while the older .net frameworks were optional?

It’s not like everyone needs this monster at 230+ MB.

7. mklute says:

All I can say is take a look at the US GOV CERT alert….

Someone at Microsoft seems to think it is ok not to push needed patches to XP/2k/2K3 machines via windows update when same patch is pushed to Vista and 2k8.

Thanks for the many hours of patching by hand needed to stop the spread of the Downlaodadup worm that should have been stopped by a simple group policy.

but nooo… that would be to easy…. Thanks Micro$oft…..

windows 7 operating system in a few places I saw and liked that beneficial to all users are

since 5 days i can’t update windows7 beta (build7000) by manual update (error code 8000FFFF) so i can’t install the test updates released on 24th of february. how to solve this problem?

10. travesti says:

Thanks for sharing your feedback!

I’m a developer and I develop software for Visual Studio. People tend to ask us why our updates are not listed in the Windows Update Centre and I can’t really reply with a good answer. I would love to see all programs being at one place.

Debian an operating system I use for my servers has a program called apt and a simple apt-get update && apt-get upgrade installs all the updates that have come out.

Please do send me an E-Mail.

Thomas Schaaf

windows 7 beta update, thank you for your news I remember was made

13. Typhoon87 says:

Do you guys know why all of a sudden opeing windows update on windows 7 beta 1 build 7000 suddenly crashes the shell when you open Windows Update.

It was working but as I updated Office 03 and downloaded the MP3 fix via MU but now it just crashes the shell.

thank you very good very good article

windows 7 news a few grains of fine to be updated has been updated windows 7 will be very stable operating system Thank you for article

thank you very good very good article

Hi there,

I cannot get updates for almost 2 days. even check new update. Just once at last morning 11:00am.

Windows 7 beta version is out we had met with something like errors, but would deal with problems directly solved thanks microsoft a good way to come

20. mantolama says:

Thank you for the link to help me a lot of work has

This is very good news was well informed that the followers of the issue I am. Thank you ..

nk you very good

thank you very good very good article

Windows 7 beta is a problem here you’ve heard it’s under a full version but then I think they had improved in your writing was superb bravo blogger

Update your operating system current system is the best system friends

26. Ricouard says:

Thanks for theses explanations. I was looking also for security development as well and received some advices. It helped me because we had the same problem and your blog team is very good.