Windows Vista SP1 Prerequisite KB937287

Back in February, we posted about the release of a couple of prerequisites for Windows Vista Service Pack 1.  While several million customers installed the updates successfully, you may have read that a few customers experienced an endless reboot cycle while installing one of the prerequisites: KB937287, the Servicing Stack Update (SSU), which contains the Service Pack 1 installation program.

As posted last month on the Windows Vista blog, we suspended automatic distribution of the SSU while we investigated the problem.  Over the past few weeks, we’ve learned a lot more about the problem and have taken steps to address the issue. Today, we’d like to let you know that we are resuming automatic distribution of the SSU tomorrow and provide more clarity on what happened.

To clear up any concerns for those of you who have already installed the update: There is no problem with the files that make up the Servicing Stack Update (KB937287); the problem some customers encountered was with the installation process for the update.  That means if you already have the update installed, you do not need to uninstall it or install the rereleased version of the update.

So what caused the problem?  Well, the SSU has special code to check whether there are any pending reboots or other updates to install.  If it sees either of these circumstances, it prevents the install from starting.  During our investigation, we discovered that there were a few unknown and rare events during the middle of the installation of the update that could cause the update to think it needed a reboot to complete the installation. If this happened, the system entered a repeating reboot loop.

To address this problem for people who have not already installed the SSU, we are releasing a fix tomorrow which will install prior to the SP1 Servicing Stack Update.  This pre-SSU update helps to ensure a smooth install of the SSU by working to prevent the system from rebooting during the SP1 SSU installation.  We also made additional changes to the SSU installer code, so that it checks for and requires the pre-SSU (KB949939) before it will install.

These two updates should now install seamlessly through Windows Update, in the proper order, so those of you with WU set to “install updates automatically” who haven’t already installed the SSU don’t have to take any further action. For those using the standalone download of SP1, the issues we encountered do not affect that method of installing at all.

–MU Team

If you have not had been offered Windows Vista Service Pack 1 yet you either have drivers on the "bad"

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) kann nicht installiert werden

• New Massive Botnet Twice the Size of Storm — Kraken botnet infiltrates 50 Fortune 500 companies. • TailRank Exposes Massive Number Of Blogs Hacked — Can cause them to be delisted from Google. • Web Page Can Take Over…

Windows Vista SP1 Prerequisite KB937287 and Windows Vista SP1 Update If you have not had been offered

Pour mettre à jour Vista vers le SP1, il est nécessaire d'installer certains pré-requis. Parmis ceux

The Microsoft Update blog provides an update (ahem) explaining how the company is resuming automatic

Back in February, Microsoft posted about the release of prerequisites for Windows Vista Service Pack

Microsoft Monday said it would resume automatic distribution of a Windows Vista update on Tuesday that

Thanks for the update windows vista is very good thanks again

Hi.

We can wait in Italy SP1 9 APril

and 18 APril for Windows Update??

THX

I have a quick update for you about Windows Vista SP1. The Microsoft Update Blog contains some important

We'd like to provide more information and address reports you may have heard about "continuous

Back in February you reported the release of two prerequisites for Windows Vista Service Pack 1. They were KB938371 and KB937287. I have successfully installed KB937287 and KB949939 that is mentioned in this blog. I don’t see any mention of any fix for KB9378371. A search of the net leads me to believe that there many Vista users that can’t install this update. I’m one of them as it won’t install on my Windows Vista Home Premium system. It fails with an error code of 80070246.

So far I’ve deleted the download cache and tried the download version. I’ve been hoping to see a fixed KB938371 released but so far I’m still waiting.

I accidentally posted this in the February post.

Hi MMM, you can do this. I’ve done this for 2 computers and it works fine.

Nice article thanks 🙂

@witgoed: yup same here! Although I do not have the laptop.

I already have all the pre-required updates for SP1 and have updated my video driver, as I have read that can be a problem. Yet, I still have yet to see SP1 in my Windows Update. Is there some tool I can use to determine if all my drivers are updated?

It didn’t really work out on my other pc, now I’m back on Windows XP again..

I am trying to update Vista SP1 by using Windows Update but repeatedly after checking the available update, no SP1 update shows up.

Can I just down load it (KB936330) from Windows website and install it?  The website however states "DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER"

Anyone please help.

thank you vista service pack 1 link Thank you for sharing with us Have a nice day

I’ve tried installing the ServicePack1, but it doesn’t really work on my computer. Back on regular XP now.. awaiting new SP upgrades.

vista service pack 1 link Thank you for sharing with us Have a nice day

Updates like this is very good once in a while so nice to have the updates thanks

@parkeren: indeed it works fine. I also installed it on 2 new computers, one notebook, and one desktop.

I love Vista!

I remember a very good vista of the update, this update was

updated version was good, I thank

thank you very good.thanks for documents verry Good site Thank you

<a title="klima servis" href="http://www.klima-yetkili-servisi.com">klima servisi</a> olarak çalışırken öncelikle servisin klima konusuna ne kadar hakim olduğu bilinmelidir.<a title="Amaç Dizayn" href="http://www.amacdizayn.com/webtasarim">web tasarım ve web tasarımı</a> hizmetlerini kurumsal firmalardan almalıısnız. Bu firmalar web tasarım konusunda iyi referanslara sahip olmalıdırlar.

service pack 1 has come out for the benefit of people in the meantime I hope your article was very nice thank you

The Italian’s SP1….When? Please answare!!! Thanks 🙂

I also tried installing the ServicePack 1, and it works great on my computer. Thanks for the update.

to work much better with updated my computer started thanks

evet dewam ..

Bei mir funktioniert alles hervorragend. Danke

rk much better with updated my

I remember this update seemed to us a lot of work thanks

Nice info Mu team 🙂

This is very good news was well informed that the followers of the issue I am. Thank you

@artechweb

we waiting 🙁

why not respond wu team??

40. Neil Cotterrill says:

It's 2010 and I have recovered my Vista laptop from scratch.  Over a week Windows has been busy updating itself until it got to this update – and I have exacctly the same problem described here.  Trying a file restore but if that is succesful do I dare instal SP1 again when it asks me?

Microsoft should be in the dock over Vista – why should I pay for W7 when Vista never worked in the first place!

Grrr – anyone reading this with a solution please poast one – Mac for me next time.

41. jeanette uche says:

i have been stuck with configuration 3 of 3 for over 8hours what do i do

42. sasha24 says:

How do I get from to stop rebooting to get it working again?  this seems to be an old problme but my  laptop just encountered this issue for WVista.

43. TUMBITUMBI says:

Im still stuck in the loop, i did not do restore point so i am wondering if theres a way around returning to a restore point.

44. CJack says:

Friend's desktop just had this happen, as well. Having a hard time getting any responses or finding any suggestions that don't send the restart loop back into that cycle. If anyone has tips or suggestions on how to get an answer from MS, please send a note over (WNYBehaviorConsult@yahoo.com). Tx

45. manifoldmarion@yahoo.com says:

yeas I learned a lot about everything today thank you so much, I will remember in the future where to go and ask for help

46. firstapril90 says:

Nice acrticle but how to stop my notebook from rebooting and get into Windows to apply your fix. I can't even boot into safe mode and neither can I restore back to a point where I can boot-up into Windows. My notebook came with Vista pre-installed and I have lost my recovery disk.

47. Heather says:

This is the problem my computer is having now. I am using my moms laptop to see how to fix it.

I read you blog, but how can I fix this problem if my laptop keeps shutting off?

Ive been trying to fix this for awhile and I just want it fixed.

Important so please help me?

48. Ronald says:

get complete solutions for windows update and other windows issues visit http://WWW.1akal.com or call @ +1 888 439 2525

49. riccd2001 says:

I need an easy-to-understand solution that REALLY works for Vista 32-bit endless loop "configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 – 0% complete,"?

I know it's 2011, and our laptop is over 5 years old, but it was working fine until 3 days ago.  None of the 4 methods nor the neosmart.net download/burned CD works for me because THIS LOOP IS ENDLESS and Windows will not load..

Has anyone found a new, better way to get out of the endless loop?

50. GambitMaster says:

I had to reinstall Vista home premium 32 bit yesterday. Bought this lap top March, 2007 and never had to reinstall. But on the clean install, no problems except for down loading updates in ascending order starting at Jan, 2007. Figured by the time I got
    installing most of the first half of 2008`s updates, SP1 would be listed in updates, it is not! For more info on my problem—