Issues installing updates after repairing XP

We received reports today that some Windows XP customers haven’t been able to install updates from Windows Update/Microsoft Update with the latest version of the Windows Update client.  We are only seeing this issue when users have performed a “repair” on their Windows XP installation. I wanted to take a minute and let folks know what we know about this right now and what we’re doing about it.

After getting the reports, we began actively reproducing and investigating the issue. We have identified the root cause and the steps to resolve this issue.

Here’s what we found: when an XP repair CD is used, it replaces all system files (including Windows Update) on your machine with older versions of those files and restores the registry. However, the latest version of Windows Update includes wups2.dll that was not originally present in Windows XP.  Therefore, after the repair install of the OS, wups2.dll remains on the system but its registry entries are missing. This mismatch causes updates to fail installation.

If you experience this issue, you can contact customer service using the contact info at http://support.microsoft.com/security.  Additionally, a KB article describing the steps to resolve this issue will be available soon. I will update this blog with a link to the KB article when it is available. In the meantime, here are the steps included in the KB:

[Updated 9/28] Here is the new KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=943144

Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

a.     Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

b.     At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each command:

net stop wuauserv
exit

Register the file that is used by Windows Update and Microsoft Update. To do this, follow these steps:

a.     Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

b.     At the command prompt, type the following command, press ENTER after the command, and then click OK when you receive a verification message:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll

Note: for x64 machines regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll

Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:

a.     Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

net start wuauserv
exit

Nate Clinton

Program Manager

Windows Update

*This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.*

Kurzbeschreibung: Neue Version 7.1.6001.65 des Windows Update Clients für Microsoft Update, Windows Update und Auto Update. Aktuell: ja direkter Download der Standalone-Version – wird nach und nach auch über über Windows/Microsoft Update bzw. Auto

Kurzbeschreibung: Neue Version 7.2.6001.788 des Windows Update Clients für Microsoft Update, Windows Update und Auto Update. Mit dieser neuen Version soll die Verarbeitung bzw. Installation von mehr als 80 Updates in einem Zug ermöglicht werden, was bi

As noted in this earlier entry , the Windows Update process may stop working after performing an XP repair

my problem is: windows update don´t run, I can´t go to any web site of microsoft.

i´ve tried many things nothing works.

something that caught my attention was that all that Microsoft’s programs open but the icons do not appear, I don´t know if means anything. windows and office are with licensees.

need help please can email me nbarrocas@gmail.com

Using a program to date at all times is very important to me about this issue, thank you,,,

Kurzbeschreibung: Neue Version 7.0.6000.381 des Windows Update Clients für Microsoft Update, Windows Update und Auto Update. Aktuell: ja (direkter Download der Standalone-Version – wird seit 22. August 2007 auch über Windows/Microsoft Update bzw. Aut

Kurzbeschreibung: Neue Version 7.1.6001.65 des Windows Update Clients für Microsoft Update, Windows Update und Auto Update. Aktuell: ja direkter Download der Standalone-Version – wird bislang noch nicht über Windows/Microsoft Update bzw. AutoUpdat

Kurzbeschreibung: Neue Version des Windows Update Clients für Microsoft Update, Windows Update und Auto Update. Aktuell: ja (direkter Download der Standalone-Version – wird Ende Mai/Mitte Juni 2007 auch über Windows Update bzw. AutoUpdate angeboten b

wird bislang noch nicht über Windows/Microsoft Update bzw. AutoUpdat

OK, forgett what I wrote above. There ist a wups2.dll file in the %windir%syswow64 folder on XP x64. I looked accidentally in the syswow64 folder of Vista x64. Sorry for that.

Actually, you already have a MSKB article published dealing with the "issue": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916259/en-us

Add the "download WUA 3.0 and install it with parameter /wuforce" line there, consider a change in the subject of the MSKB article and everything is well.

There’s IMHO no need to respond to every FUD published by some "journalists" and "news sites".

Bye,

Freudi

I’m using Windows XP x64 SP2 at the moment and I did not performe a repeair installation yet, so I don’t know if I’m right or not.

At the moment there is no wups2.dll in my %windir%syswow64 folder but the windows update works well. I only have a wups.dll. The wups2.dll only exist in the %windir%system32 folder.

So the question is, which name is right for the file in the syswow64 folder? wups.dll or wups2.dll. Or appears the wups2.dll after a repair?

microsoft is a great company came to me a very beautiful place was very good also thanks to your

Superbe article, vraiment simple et utile. Bravo pour sa mise en ligne. C’est ce genre d’information que le public (et moi en particulier) recherche.

windows xp repair process after the updates are absolutely necessary in this regard I would like to thank you for your news experience I

program managers in a good working on this issue, thank you all ler on this issue

I used to reinstall my windows when I had problems. This is very helpful, because i get the chance to repair and update it instead of completely removing it from the system. Thanks

update be made a very good news, thank you

No software is perfect but I have been very impressed with XP and auto updates. I appreciate the ability to keep my system updated with little effort on my part and take advantage of most automatic update style features for XP, and also for other OSes and applications. In my opinion the small risk of getting a bad update is vastly outweighed by the risk of being behind the curve, since most updates improve stability or security.

I had to use the same fix again today. It looks like this is going to be a standard thing when ever we use repair install. Makes the process even longer. At least it works.

hey, great article..very helpful..thank you

very clean and beautiful things about xp update in place

I have a problem. I tried that whole step. But when it came to Number 2 [ regsvr32 %windir%system32wups2.dll ] it didn’t work. I wonder how come.

Please I Hope someone knows why and let me know. my email os avril_rocks200@hotmail.com. thanks.

26. SEO says:

Thanks for the useful article. As always, very helpful.

27. Çatı says:

çatı yapımı http://www.catiyapimi.net Saol Kardeşlerim

28. medyum says:

eywallah kardeşlerim ayıpsın herzaman medyumhttp://www.medyumanna.net

29. Çatı says:

Çatı yapımı ve çatı kaplama catikaplama.blogspot.com çok teşekkürler

30. İzolasyon says:

İzolasyon ve yalıtımda tek adres izolasyonmalzemesi.blogspot.com

31. mantolama says:

Mantolama ve ısı yalıtım sistemlerinde son teknolojiler mantolamaizmir.blogspot.com

32. ispanakli börek says:

iyi bir site başarılarınızın devamını dilerim teşekkürler

33. Atul says:

Nice post ….

very informative blog updates .

Thanks for share <a href="youtu.be/yoVWhrSgAh8">How to install XP</a>