by Julie Golding, U.S. MPN Lead
Each month in the U.S. partner newsletter, Julie Golding delivers a message for Microsoft Partner Network organizations who hold one or more Microsoft competencies, offering information and recommendations to help those companies take advantage of their membership benefits and differentiate their businesses in the marketplace by showcasing their expertise.
The latest Microsoft products—from Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and Microsoft System Center 2012 to Windows Server 2012, Visual Studio 2012, Windows 8 (coming October 26), and the new Office (released to manufacturing on 10/11)—bring with them new partner opportunities. As we refresh our product portfolio, and you update the services and solutions you offer to include them in your Microsoft practice, it’s important that the Microsoft Partner Network evolves to keep pace with the advancing technology and changing customer expectations. We make improvements the Partner Network to help partners expand their business and expertise in order to differentiate themselves in the marketplace and to retain and better serve customers.
In November, there are changes to several Microsoft competencies that will streamline, simplify, and refresh our approach, reflecting changing customer needs and market conditions. In this post, I’ve summarized some of the most significant changes we are making, but I recommend that you download and review the Competency Roadmap for a comprehensive guide that will help you understand what changes will affect your company in November or at your next membership renewal.
Competency Name Changes and Mergers
Competency Change Highlights
- New Collaboration and Content competency. The Content Management, Portals and Collaboration, and Search competencies merge into a single competency. This merger provides you with the opportunity to deliver solutions for your customers that make it easier for people to work together using a single, extensible platform for intranet, extranet, and internet applications, both on premises and in the cloud.
- New Application Development competency. The ISV, Software Development, and Web Development competencies merge into a single competency. Partners currently active in these competencies will be transitioned to the new Application Development competency automatically. All current ISV, Software Development and Web Development requirements will remain valid for the new Application Development competency until November 2013. You will have until this date to meet the new competency requirements.
- Devices and Deployment competency. With our impending Windows 8 + devices release, the Desktop competency will evolve to become the Devices and Deployment competency to better encompass device proliferation and to recognize and reward partners who help customers select, configure, and manage a range of secure, productive devices.
- Identity and Access competency. The competency known as Identity and Security is being renamed to help you meet customer solution needs of enterprise users to IT systems, on-premises as well as in the cloud.
If you don’t see your competency listed above, use the Competency Roadmap as your source for important details, or contact the U.S. MPN Experts for a competency consultation so that you are ready for your next renewal.
Resources for U.S. partners who have or are working to attain a Microsoft competency
- Download and review the Competency Roadmap, a comprehensive look at the changes that will take effect this November.
- Save up to 40% on exams by purchasing a Microsoft Competency Exam Pack, and get a free exam retake—a second shot—if needed (rules, instructions, and a link to eligible exams).
- Save on practice tests that help you prepare for Microsoft exams.
- Contact U.S. MPN Experts by email, phone, or chat to discuss your next competency renewal and review whether you are ready to meet new requirements.
- Prepare for upcoming Microsoft product releases with our online guide to resources that help you integrate new products into your business and start talking to customers about how your solutions built on the latest Microsoft products and technologies help meet their needs for efficiency, cost effectiveness, business productivity, and more.