Hi all —
We’re pleased to announce the release of the new Microsoft Security Update Guide, Second Edition. Fully revised and updated from the first edition, which was released in 2009, this edition focuses on best practices for prioritizing and testing security updates before deployment within your organization’s IT environment.
Feedback from our enterprise customers tells us that more and more IT professionals are deploying Microsoft security updates quickly based on their assurance in in the quality and thoroughness of testing performed. For the latest version of the Guide, we have detailed the extensive testing processes and procedures that we follow before releasing those updates, and we’ve pulled together our best guidance for assisting IT professionals with all aspects of deployment.
The latest edition of the Guide includes:
- Insight into how Microsoft tests security updates (including application-compatibility testing, rootkit detection, internal testing including live pre-release deployment on over 24,000 devices inside Microsoft);
- A guide to which update approach – Microsoft Update and Automatic Updates, Windows Server Update Service (WSUS), or Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 – is right for your enterprise;
- Information on our Security Update Validation Program, which allows selected partners and customers to test update functionality before release;
- Fully revised customer pre-deployment testing guidance, including guidance for Windows 7;
- Greater insight into our Severity Rating System and Exploitability Index;
- Refreshed and revised resources appendices.
The Microsoft Security Update Guide, Second Edition can be downloaded free from www.microsoft.com/securityupdateguide.