For those that are not familiar with RAP, it is a Microsoft Services Premier Support offering that helps prevent serious issues from occurring by analyzing the health and risks present in your current environment.
For example: if you haven’t done a WDRAP (Windows Desktop RAP) and your end-users are suffering slow boot times, slow logon times, slow file copy, hung applications, and applications crashing, it could help! A WDRAP assesses your current environment and recommends changes which improve the Windows user experience.
Our new RAP as a Service offering helps accelerate the process of diagnosis and reporting, using our RAP online service.
Q: So what is Microsoft RAP as a Service?
A: It's an evolution of the Risk Assessment Program offering.
It is a way of staying healthy proactively.
- It’s secure and private.
- The data is collected remotely.
- We analyze against best practices established by knowledge obtained from Microsoft IT, and over 20,000 customer assessments.
- It enables you to view your results immediately.
You can also take a look at this video describing RAP as a Service:
Q: What are the benefits of RAP as a Service over a RAP?
A: The benefits are:
- Online delivery with a Microsoft accredited engineer.
- A modern best-practices toolset that allows you to assess your environment at any time and includes ongoing updates for a full year.
- You get immediate on-line feedback on your environment. Just run the straightforward toolset and you’ll garner instant insight into your environment.
- Easily share results with your IT staff and others in your organization.
- You can reassess your environment to track remediation and improvement progress.
- Reduced resource overhead requirements. There’s no need to take your people away from their other work for multiple days, nor do they need to travel to the location where the work is being performed.
- Better scheduling flexibility. Due to the agile structure of the new Service offering, turnaround times to get a Microsoft accredited engineer to review your environment are much shorter.
- Better security. While both offerings are highly secure, the newer Risk and Health Assessments have the added benefit of including no intermediary steps in the assessment process.
- RAP as a Service includes remediation planning, which helps you understand what’s required to get your environment optimally healthy.
- A broader toolset that is continually enhanced. For example, the new Risk Assessment for Active Directory includes assessment checks that were previously available as two separate service offerings: an Active Directory RAP and Active Directory Upgrade Assessment Health Check. These are combined in the Active Directory Risk Assessment. RAP as a Service also includes additional new tests such as support for Windows Server 2012.
Q: What technologies can be assessed using the new RAP platform?
… and others coming soon, such as Exchange, SharePoint, Windows Client, Failover Cluster, Hyper-V, and more. Please contact your Microsoft Premier Support Technical Account Manager for further info on availability.
Q: I can’t wait until the releases of the other technologies!
A: In the meantime, you can still request a RAP for those technologies until these are released with RAP as a Service.
Q: Is RAP as a Service currently available for non-Premier Support customers?
A: Not at this time. To find out more about Premier Support, please visit Microsoft Services Premier Support
Q: Do I use the RAP as a Service service for my environment before or after going into production?
A: Both. We highly recommend you test your environment before going live using RAP as a Service.
We also recommend using RAP as a Service after you go in production, because changes between test and production are inevitable.
Q: What are the system requirements for a RAP as a Service?
A: The Microsoft Download Center has a detailed description of RAP as a Service Prerequisites.
Q: How do I schedule a RAP as a Service?
A: Talk to your Microsoft Premier Support Technical Account Manager (TAM) or Application Developer Manager (ADM), and they can schedule the RAP as a Service.
Q: Where would I go to sign-in for the RAP as a Service?
A: You browse to the Microsoft Premier Proactive Assessment Services site and enter your credentials. The packages will be waiting for you to download and start running.
Q: I’m in a secure environment; we cannot access external websites.
A: It’s alright! We have a portable Offline Assessment for your needs.
Q: Does it take a lot of ramp-up time to get familiar with the toolset?
A: No, the package is wizard-driven for ease of use.
Q: Do I need to have any down time?
A: No, the data collection is non-invasive, so no scheduled downtime is required. Collect the data on your own schedule.
Q: OK, I collected the data, now what are my next steps?
A: Once data collection is complete, you can submit the data privately and securely to the Microsoft Premier Proactive Assessment Services site for analysis.
Q: When do I get to see my results?
A: We (the accredited Microsoft engineers) will analyze and annotate the report for your specific environment. Once you receive the report back, we will set up a conference call to go over the findings with your staff.
Q: How long is the report available for us?
A: The report is available online for twelve months so you can continue remediating any issues/problems.
Q: Can I re-run the RAP as a Service toolset?
A: Yes, you get to re-collect the data, submit the data again and get the detailed analysis back for a whole year, as a Premier customer.
Q: Can I still have Microsoft Premier Field Engineers come on-site?
A: Yes, we still have that option available to assist you! Regular RAPs are still available.
Thank you, and I hope you found this useful.