The Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), build 8450, is now available on the Microsoft Download Center. This update supports the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10, version 1709, available on the Microsoft Hardware Dev Center (adksetup.exe file version 10.1.16299.15).
Here is a summary of the significant changes in this build of MDT:
- Supported configuration updates
- Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1709
- Windows 10, version 1709
- Configuration Manager, version 1710
- Quality updates (titles of bug fixes)
- Win10 Sideloaded App dependencies and license not installed
- CaptureOnly task sequence doesn't allow capturing an image
- Error received when starting an MDT task sequence: Invalid DeploymentType value "" specified. The deployment will not proceed
- ZTIMoveStateStore looks for the state store folder in the wrong location causing it to fail to move it
- xml contains a simple typo that caused undesirable behavior
- Install Roles & Features doesn't work for Windows Server 2016 IIS Management Console feature
- Browsing for OS images in the upgrade task sequence does not work when using folders
- MDT tool improperly provisions the TPM into a Reduced Functionality State (see KB 4018657 for more information)
- Updates to ZTIGather chassis type detection logic
- Upgrade OS step leaves behind SetupComplete.cmd, breaking future deployments
- Windows 10 ADK 1607 and later UEFI boot issue on some hardware
- Includes updated Configuration Manager task sequence binaries
See the following post on How to get help with MDT.
Frequently Asked Questions
In anticipation of some questions that you may have about this release (or MDT in general):
Q: The Inevitable Current Branch Versioning Soup Question; some variation of, “is this only supported with ADK/Win10/SCCM version X”?
We primarily tested this build of MDT with the configuration listed above. Anything outside of that will have a high probability of still working, but your mileage may vary as we haven’t explicitly tested other combinations.
Q: When is the next planned release of MDT?
We do not currently have a timeframe. We will release any tactical changes as needed which may be required to support new builds of Windows 10 or Configuration Manager.
Q: Is this the last release of MDT?
No, we will continue to iterate and invest in the product.
— Aaron Czechowski