Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2013 Preview Now Available

The Client Management team is happy to announce the availability of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2013 Preview. Download the installer file and release notes from the Client Management program on Connect in the MDT group.

New members must first join the MDT group of the Client Management program on Connect.

MDT 2013 Preview includes:

• Support for the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 8.1 Preview. (The Windows ADK for Windows 8.1 Preview is available on the Microsoft Download Center.)
  • Support for deployment of Windows 8.1 Preview and Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview, as well as Windows 7 and Windows 8 families of operating systems.
  • Support for zero-touch integration (ZTI) with System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager Preview.

We encourage you to download and use MDT 2013 Preview, and then submit suggestions, bugs and feedback via the Connect site.

— Aaron Czechowski, Senior Program Manager

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.

I agree too with Scorpio92. Bugs and problems should be fixed rather then just adding features which will not really help in the long run.

AndreOL –

Please submit feedback via the Connect site linked above, providing as much detail as possible regarding the issue so that we can assist.

Graeme –

If you are still deploying older versions such as Windows Server 2003, I recommend continuing to use MDT 2012 Update 1, which is still available for download (…/details.aspx) and will continue to be supported. Additionally, Configuration Manager provides a much broader level of platform support for OS deployment.

I am disappointed that Windows 2003 is no longer supported from the Server side.  We still have a couple years to migrate off and we would still need the ability to support those deployments, even if its just from a WIM file.

6. AndreOL says:

FAIL…. this DL doesn't work! Very annoyed

7. Scorpio92 says:

Je suis vraiment désappointé.

Vous (l'équipe MDT) cherchez à toujours faire plus, nouveautés, ajout de fonctionnalités, etc… mais, vous n'apportez aucune solutions aux très nombreux problèmes existants, notamment au niveau des problèmes de partionnement de disque ( erreur si le disque est vierge, erreur si il y a 2 disques, erreur d'installation de l'OS sur une partition précice, etc…..)

Cela est très décevant, MDT est très interessant, mais, s'il vous plait, consolidez l'actuel, plutot que de tenter d'enrichir de nouveautés souvent trop peu utilisés (monitoring, etc..).

Je pense ne pas être le seul à penser la même chose, lorsque je vois les nombreuses recherches sur internet pour palier à ces problèmes

Merci de m'avoir lu.

8. Scorpio92 says:

Oups.. in english now:

I'm really disappointed.

You (the MDT team) are looking to do more, new, adding features, etc. … but you make no solutions to many existing problems, especially in terms of disk partitioning problems (error if the disc is blank, error if there are two disks, error installing the OS on a partition precice, ….. etc.)

This is very disappointing, MDT is very interesting, but, please, consolidate the current, rather than attempting to enrich news often too little used (monitoring, etc. ..).

I think not be alone in thinking the same thing when I see many internet searches to overcome these problems

Thank you for reading me.

9. j-Ozzie says:

Could not agree more with Scorpio92. First make the old version a better one, then think of nice features.

10. Ronald says:

IS Windows XP not supporterd any more. Can't get the os imported.

Please help me

11. brett says:

I see that Windows 8.1 is now available in our volume licensing portal. When will the final version of MDT 2013 be available so we can begin deploying images.

12. Q says:

XP isn't a supported OS in the new ADK for 8.1 – you'll need to use the 8.0 ADK with MDT 2012, as it's the last to support it.

13. TowheeR says:

Please answer Brett's question, because I have the same question.  I just imported 8.1 into MDT2012U1 and encountered an error trying to create the catolog files.  That led me to find out I need MDT2013 to deploy 8.1 or 2012R2.  The deployment tools should be available when the OSs are available, if not sooner.  Also not liking the 8 to 8.1 upgrade process for Enterprise edition.

14. james says:

Any update on when the RTM version will release? I've got the 8.1 ADK and our VL Win 8.1 Enterprise but nothing to deploy it with.

15. james says:

Looks like Sever 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2 just went GA. I'm guessing it can't be too much longer before MDT 2013 GA is available.

16. brett says:

I see the final release is available now! Thank you!