Microsoft is pleased to announce the release of the Microsoft Security Assessment Tool Version 3.0. The new version of the tool offers improved functionality and an improved customer and partner experience, including resource toolkits that contain supporting materials for both customers and partners. We have also made changes to the tool to protect our intellectual property (IP) and comply with Microsoft personally identifiable information (PII) and asset strategies.
Other changes made to the tool include:
- New “Security Hero” look and feel
- Updated categories and questions to address previous gaps in the assessment, such as user account access controls, account provisioning and policies, incident response processes and policies, business continuity and disaster recovery planning, electronic media disposal processes, data classification schemes, and application development processes and methodologies
- Updated resource links, recommendations, and help files
- XML file encryption to protect our IP
- Change to a Microsoft-scripted application installation
- Availability via the Microsoft Download Center
- Improved support of Microsoft PII policy through the elimination of IP address tracking and questions requiring first or last name, and the optional provision of an e-mail address. The user’s country will be requested as part of the Microsoft Download Center process.