After doing an in-place upgrade of my Windows Server 2008 SP2 Hyper-V host to bring it up to Windows Server 2008 R2, I decided to have a bash at setting up the Hyper-V management tools on my Windows 7 client.
My setup is as follows:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
- Standalone server
- Hyper-V role installed
- hosts the domain controller VM for the domain I use at home
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
- Member of the home domain
In the previous incarnation of the environment I use at home, the Hyper-V host was running Windows Server 2008 x64 SP2 and the client was running Windows Vista x64 SP2 – I used John Howard’s excellent blog entry to be able to administer the Hyper-V host from my Vista client, with there being no common security authority for them:
A note on the in-place upgrade of the server, I made sure to follow John’s other blog entry to avoid running into any gotchas with the VMs:
After the upgrade was done and I had the Windows 7 client clean installed, I installed the RSAT for Windows 7 on the client and then went through the steps detailed in John’s blog.
The only thing to note in my case: most of the server settings were carried across with the in-place upgrade, but I did need to reconfigure the DCOM and reboot.
I am pleased to say that once the instructions had been followed, the Hyper-V Manager console fires up and connects without a problem to the Windows Server 2008 R2 standalone host from the domain member Windows 7 client.