The biggest myth about pirated software is that it’s cheap and doesn’t harm anyone. The truth is, everybody pays – and the price can be high.
- In the UK, 24% of installed business software is used unlawfully.*
- There is a strong correlation between unlicensed software and malware*
- One in three copied software packages has malware in it*.
Software piracy is the illegal reproduction and distribution of software applications. Because of counterfeit and unlicensed software, legitimate businesses are not only losing selling opportunities; they’re missing out on ongoing revenues and the chance to add value.
Your business depends on your reputation for delivering reliable products and services. Illegal software copying and distribution tarnishes the reputation of all resellers. It also puts users at risk from inferior quality, and potentially dangerous software.
We believe working with you to raise awareness of this issue, helping you to educate your customers in respect to how avoiding counterfeiting operations, is essential. Learn more about Piracy Prevention.
One way to avoid wasting valuable time and money on counterfeit or infringing software is to give too-good-to-be-true deals a miss. However, the best way to avoid becoming a victim of software pirates is to purchase from known and trusted sources.
To be 100% sure that that you’re buying genuine Microsoft software for your customers, you should source your products from authorised distributors.
Genuine software provides:
- Protection against viruses, spyware and malware.
- Support – only genuine software is supported by Microsoft or Microsoft partners, customers with counterfeit software are not entitled to support and will be a real loss when things go wrong.
- Reliability – customers count on the reliability and performance or genuine software and can’t afford the downtime caused by system failure or security breaches that can result from using non-genuine software.
Another important benefit of purchasing from an Authorise Microsoft Distributor is that you may be eligible to join the OEM Reseller Incentives Program which provides channel incentives, including cash rebates and co-op marketing funds, to participating resellers for qualifying purchases of eligible Microsoft OEM Software licenses and eligible touch enabled devices.
Internal Use Rights are another way you can ensure you are using genuine software. You can gain access to different internal use software licenses (IUR), either by subscribing to a Microsoft Action Pack or attaining a relevant competency. IUR enables you to use the latest Microsoft on-premise, hybrid and cloud technologies for free within your business. These licenses are provided directly by Microsoft, so you won’t need to worry about pirated software when making sure you’re up to date and productive as possible.
Microsoft is committed to helping partners and customers who have piracy concerns or were inadvertently sold counterfeit Microsoft software, or suspected counterfeit software. If you’re aware of any suspicious activity, please report piracy to: email@example.com
*BSA the Software Alliance Facts campaign 2015 https://bsa.country/uk/facts