Management Pack Development Training

This is kind of old news since I’ve had the first lessons out there for a few weeks, but I wanted to wait until we had a substantial number posted before announcing it.  We are working on a complete management pack development training that is being published on Microsoft Virtual Academy.  This is based on content that we have delivered at various conferences and onsite to specific customers over the last several years.

Since this is a training for advanced management pack development, the training is primarily focused on using Visual Studio Authoring Extensions.  We present a sample application early in the training and walk through the creation of a complete management pack through the different lessons.  While we don’t have them posted yet, I am planning on making the Visual Studio solution for each completed lesson available for download.

There are currently 8 lessons available with a couple more in final production.  I’m working to get a lesson or two completed each week, and we will be posting them as they are completed.  From this point forward, I’ll make sure to send a tweet each time we post a new lesson.

I’m liking the courses on MVA. Thanks for doing them.

Hello, Brian! I found your training videos very interesting, but they miss the topic I’m very interested in – dashboards. Will you be uploading more new videos to VMA, or this topic is closed already?

3. John Locke says:

Nice Brian. Are you going to be at TechEd this year?

4. Brian Wren says:

I will be there. Not presenting, but I will be at the Microsoft booth. Come on by!

5. Walter Chomak says:

I am getting very dangerous thanks to you.

6. Keithk2 says:

I just finished the 8 modules posted. So well done. Eagerly waiting for the next ones. Any time tables? I have a big project that I need to complete around mp authoring and this has been invaluable to me so far to prepare for that.

7. Brian Wren says:

I got diverted on some other activities so got behind in the recordings. Starting the Troubleshooting Discoveries this afternoon as soon as I finish up some new Dashboard content. Then back on track with the recordings next week.

8. Keithk2 says:

Thanks! Really looking forward to it. If there is anything that I can do to help (for free!) please let me know.

9. Keithk2 says:

My goal is to create an mp for a LOB application to monitor services running. The LOB app has 3 different components running on 3 different servers. All of them have a common registry key installed on all servers indicating the app exists. However, each
    of them have different services running depending on the role. Regarding my discovery strategy, would it be best to start with a "seed" registry discovery for the application, then another registry discovery targeting the seed class looking for the service
    in the registry to identify what component of the app it is. I see all services for the app on all components listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservices. Seems like I can do all my discoveries in the registry for this case. Would you say
    that if I can do all my discoveries in the registry then I should? Many thanks in advance!

I got the question below related to my MP development training .  It seems like a common scenario

11. Keithk2 says:

Any ETA on module 12? I have completed the discovery modules and ready for more!

12. Brian Wren says:

I got diverted into some other work for a bit. Troubleshooting Discoveries is recorded though and should be posted soon. I have Discovering Relationships and Advanced Discoveries ready to go and will be getting those recorded in the next couple of days.
    Then it’s on to health monitoring, which I think is a little more fun.

13. Atul Marathe says:

Hello Brian, your MVA series is very informative. Thanks!
    Is the solution available for download somewhere? That will help a lot as I can play around with the solution, knowing I’ve a working sample.

14. Brian Wren says:

I will have a lesson on dashboards coming up. Probably sooner rather than later.

15. Brian Wren says:

I have been building the solution for each lesson. Just haven’t put it out yet. I’ll get everything cleaned up and get it out on TechNet Gallery soon. We’ll figure out a way we can link to it from the training.

16. Atul Marathe says:

Can you please shed some light on how to execute commands from an imported module in a PS discovery script? I managed to load it by setting the environment path, but it somehow doesn’t recognize the cmdlets exported from this module. Logging events from
    the script indicates that the command is not returning the data it’s supposed to, which it returns when run manually from PowerShell console. Any ideas?

Thanks!

17. Bhaskar Rajamani says:

Hi Brain I am very much attracted by SCOM monitoring tool. Really it is nice.. I have question about Remote Computer Java Application Monitoring. I am trying to get some tutorial to explain about remote Applications monitoring with basic model.. If you
    can provide such.. SCOM is going to be a big monitoring tool in our organization ( a big partner of Microsoft ). Pls let me know how to get the server details using Management pack in Visual Studio. Pls guide me to come out.. I am available at rajbhaski@hotmail.com

18. Kris Turner says:

Brian, thanks for the great resource for using VS and building custom management packs. The one area I seem to be having a hard time is how to populate only the instances of databases that belong to my application. On you videos on the MVA it talks a little
    about it in the first part but never hits on it. At least I must be missing it. I have created my classes, and I am seeing all databases that the SQL management has discovered. So I am that far.

On the session Discovering Relationships you go into detail about creating the Web Sites instances. That was very helpful. In the next session, Advanced Discovery it looks like you already have done it because there is a new discover called discovery.populateDatabaserelationship.
    However, I can’t find where you showed us how to create these?