[NOTE - Operational Insights is now a part of Operations Management Suite. Learn more at microsoft.com/OMS ]
You can now collect & search IIS logs (W3C format) using OpInsights!
This is one of the highest voted feature requests in the OpInsights feedback/community forum, so we listened and delivered.
To enable IIS log collection:
- Make sure the IIS servers are added to the OpInsights workspace (See step 7 under Connect to OpInsights in our onboarding instructions page)
- Log on to Advisor, click on the Log Management tile
- Click on Configure and simply check the new "Collect W3C format IIS log files from computers managed by Operations Manager" check box at the top
- Give OpInsights a bit of time to collect the logs
- Go back to the main Log Management view, you will find the new IIS log type and its event count showing up
- You will also see the new IIS Log Records by URI charts
- In the Search view, you will find the new W3CIISLog facets/filters to help you explore your logs!
- This is a great knowledge articles to help you configure your IIS Log setting: http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2014/09/19/iis-log-format-requirements-in-system-center-advisor.aspx
- Here are some sample searches you can try: Useful OpInsights Search Query Collection – scroll down to find the Log Management (IIS log) section
Check it out and let us know what you think by clicking the Feedback button.
Daniele has written a more detail blog post on how to explore W3C IIS logs using OpInsights. Check it out!
Follow me and get the latest about OpInsights on Twitter: @jochan_msft