Today we have released the Visio 2010 Add-in and SharePoint 2010 Data Extensions for System Center 2012 (Operations Manager). For those not familiar with it this enabled customers to create highly customized Visio diagrams – either by exporting diagrams from Operations Manager, or by creating new diagrams from scratch – and then display these either in Visio or SharePoint.
The Visio Add-in combines the strengths of two applications widely used in enterprise IT to simplify the creation of customized graphical dashboards showing the health of an environment. Examples of such diagrams include showing objects by geography overlaid on a map, by location in a datacenter or building, by role in a logical view of an application or by topology for complex distributed applications.
With System Center 2012, this value becomes even greater now that Operations Manager can publish dashboards to SharePoint. Now SharePoint truly becomes the mash up for operations management data: a way to share the relevant data to the right people in a form that makes sense for them: charts, state views, alerts from the in the OM web part, and custom diagrams in the Visio web part!
Here is a simple mash-up example in SharePoint:
Specific features include:
- Visio diagrams exported from Operations Manager show automatically live health state on the exported objects in Visio.
- Easily create new Visio diagrams and link shapes to any managed object (computer, database, web site, perspective etc.) to show the current health state
- Automatically link entire existing Visio diagrams to the computer and network devices managed by Operations Manager by matching computer names or IP addresses
- Auto-refresh of health state in Visio diagram – use with Visio’s full screen view to create dashboard views suitable for use as a summary display in a datacenter control room
- Predefined data graphics to allow user to toggle from Operations Manager health icons
to shape color for health state
- One-click link to the Operations Manager Health Explorer
- Easily Publish Visio diagrams to SharePoint alongside Operations Manager dashboards
The key to using the Visio Add-in is to think through how you actually want to visualize your application’s health – with Visio the options are virtually unlimited!
This is available now at the download center.