We had an interesting thread today on an internal alias about running multiple MOM consoles simultaneously. The following are supported configurations:
- Run multiple MOM 2000 consoles at once – create more than one MMC console with a MOM 2000 administrator console. Each console can point at the same or a different DCAM. They can be pointed at DCAMs in the same or a different Configuration Group.
- Run multiple MOM 2000 consoles at once in the same MMC console. You can add multiple MOM 2000 administrator console snapins into the same MMC console. They can be pointed at the same or a different DCAM. They can be pointed at DCAMs in the same or a different Configuration Group.
- Run multiple MOM 2005 operator consoles. They can be pointed at the same Management Server or different Management Servers. They can be pointed at Management Servers in the same Management Group or different Management Groups. Use OMC files to quickly launch them — see this previous post: http://blogs.technet.com/momteam/archive/2005/08/03/408629.aspx
- Run multiple MOM 2005 administrator consoles. Behavior is same as above regarding MOM 2000 since the MOM 2005 administrator console is a MMC snapin.
- Run a MOM 2000 and a MOM 2005 console side by side. Install MOM 2005 console. Create a new MMC console. Add a MOM 2005 administrator console snap-in pointed at a MOM 2000 SP1 DCAM in a MOM 2000 Configuration Group. This console will look like a MOM 2000 adminsitrator console but is in fact a MOM 2005 console. Then add a MOM 2005 console pointed at a MOM 2005 Management Server. Then use the MOM 2005 operator console pointed at the MOM 2005 Management Server.
Another option if you simply want multiple views in your console is to use the “multi-pane view” feature. Go to File –> Console Settings. Increase the number of view panels up to 3. Then pick a view for each panel. Cool!