MDT 2010 New Feature #13: New task sequence templates

There are two new Lite Touch task sequence templates provided in MDT 2010:

• Capture only (CaptureOnly.xml).  This task sequence includes only the steps to sysprep the OS, reboot into Windows PE, and capture a WIM file (with the right /FLAGS value).  We would prefer that you use a full task sequence to do the complete build/sysprep/capture process, but if for some reason you can’t do that then you can consider this template to reliably perform those last few steps.
  • Post OS Installation Task Sequence (StateRestore.xml).  This task sequence includes all the “State Restore” phase activities: installing applications, enabling BitLocker, restoring the user state, and even the “capture only” steps described above.  This is useful in cases where you have already built the OS (maybe you deployed an already-built VHD to Hyper-V), but now you want to customize it.

1. These new templates should work fine with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

-Michael

2. That’s because this isn’t just a "Capture" task sequence.  It’s a "Sysprep and Capture" task sequence.  You need to start it in the full operating system.  It will take care of running sysprep, rebooting into Windows PE, and capturing a WIM.

We modified the name after MDT 2010 Beta 2 was released because this seemed to confuse lots of people.

-Michael

3. Normally the wizard would ask you for those two values.  If you aren’t seeing that wizard pane, it’s because your computer is domain-joined.  It’s not recommended to sysprep and capture a domain-joined machine.

-Michael

the cscript part is too much. Just run

\serverdeploymentshare$scriptslitetouch.vbs

Then a dialog appears where you fill in your credentials, next a dialog with all the defined task sequences (the same dialog you get when you boot from PE).

Cheers

Pieter-Jan

Hi;

Neither of the features above seem to work with Windows 2003.  True?

Thanks

6. We include a disabled step in the task sequence to install an OS.  This causes a sysprep.inf or unattend.xml to be associated with the task sequence.  If we didn’t do that, there wouldn’t be a sysprep.inf/unattend.xml available for the capture process to use.

-Michael

7. The step in the task sequence is disabled by default for this template.

Yes, you can edit the sysprep.inf associated with the task sequence and that will be copied to C:Sysprep before running sysprep.

-Michael

8. Can you e-mail me (mniehaus@microsoft.com) your BDD.LOG?

Thanks,

-Michael

Hi vvcomsys – For ImageName.wim do you need to add %imagename%.wim or quotes to this value.  When I set this I get "imagename.wim" as my image name instead of Optiplex 380.wim

Hey Michael,

I am getting an error trying to run the sysprep and capture tool from Windows Vista. The error is 800704C3 when I enter in my credentials.

I can run a sysprep and capture on a Windows XP computer, no problem.

The error message has something to do with connections, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

Todd

I seem to be having an issue with captures:

FAILURE (5601): False: Verify OS guid %OSGUID% exists

Return Code = 2147467259 0x080004005

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I think I found solution for this error.

All credits are for Johan Arwidmark for his "Capture only Task Sequence for MDT 2008 (Lite Touch)"

I have added two new Task sequences after Set Phase

1.Set Image Folder >Task sequence Variable-"ComputerBackupLocation" ->Value \serverDistribution$Captures

2.Set Image Name >Task sequence variable – "BackupFile" -> Value ImageName.wim

Looks like there is bug in CaptureOnly.xml

Cheers

Vinnie

13. Zouleous says:

Where does the task sequence get the deploy.cab files to run sysprep against an XP image?

Also, how do I initiate the task?  I tried

cscript \serverdeploymentshare$scriptslitetouch.vbs

I thought that would do it, but it returns a Wizard Error that says "A connection to the deployment share (\serverdeploymentshare$) could not be made.   The Deployment will not proceed."  I can ping the server and even open the window manually from the run line although it does require credentials.  Do I have a permissions issue?  Mind you I have no problem launching the Wizard from PE deployment media.

14. Is there a task sequence that will simply:

1) Do a Diskpart clean of the hard drive

2) Create both partitions System and Windows

3) Apply my custom full image (aptured with MDT)

4) Add the final product to the Domain

I spent the whole day today tweking around and that elusive first step is hard to insert in a Task Sequence… Arrrrrgh!

15. Zouleous says:

So should I just pick the OS that will be captured and disable the step?  Then edit the sysprep.inf in the task sequence OS info tab to reflect what I want in the sysprep.inf?  I assume this task needs to be run from within the OS so it can sysprep the image using those settings and then reboot for a capture.

16. The existing client and server task sequence templates work with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

I think I answered my own question, moments after clicking send. The computer is domain joined…. I’ll bet that is the issue.

Let me try unjoining it and see what happens.

I have a issue that I can’t figure out. I am using MDT 2010 to deploy windows 7 Ent, I have been using MDT 2008 for sometime now. Let me run through what I have done so far. I have installed MDT 2010 and all needed componets, I have of course added the OS, drivers, created a deploment share, and a task sequence to use to build my Win 7 image. A new task sequnce that came with MDt 2010 is a capture Only task. I have created it, and updated the deployment share. From my Win 7 desktop (windows not PE) I have ran \servernamedeploymentshare$scriptslitetouch.vbs, and select the capture TS from the options. The Win 7 build runs sys prep and reboots the pc and kicks it into Win PE to prepare it for capture. Nothing is captured of course and it gives me 2 errors and 1 warning which are:

Warning- Unable to validation connectiuon because a black UNC was specified. Error creating an imagge of drive d: rc=2

ZTI error- NON -zero return code by ZTIbackup, rc=2.

When i created the capture TS with-in MDT I was never ask to create or provide a UNC. I am totaly lost.

Also why was the capture only TS created when above you state " We would prefer that you use a full task sequence to do the complete build/sysprep/capture process, but if for some reason you can’t do that then you can consider this template to reliably perform those last few steps"

Hello Michael

I tried the capture only task. I booted in PE and could select the task, choose capture and specify the name of the wim file. The task sequence starts but when sysprep starts, the task aborts with an error ‘Unhandled error returned by LTIsysprep: the system cannot find the file specified (-2147024894 0x80070002)’.

Thanks for your advice.

Pieter-Jan

I forgot to mention – if I capture an image as part of a standard deployment task to a reference computer it works fine – so it appears it’s missing something that these tasks put on the image.

21. Zouleous says:

How come the task sequence wizard asks me to specify an OS to deploy if I’m using the capture only template?

I’m also having problems with the capture only task in MDT 2010

I’ve executed litetouch.vbs from the running reference system, it allows me to select the Capture only task I’ve created from the template, runs sysprep and reboots.

Once it reboots, it launches the PE image and starts to create the WIM file. However, it fails with 5 errors, stating that it cannot access the deployment share. I don’t get the option to enter any credentials either.

From the command prompt I have a IP address and can manually map a drive to the deployment share. I’m guessing it’s a credentials issue, but I can’t see an option within the task sequence to add them in.

What needs to be present on the donor computer for this to work properly?

Cheers,

David

23. hawkd_sf says:

Maybe I haven't worked far enough into this but here's my puzzle:  If using "full task sequence…complete build/sysprep/capture process", I don't understand where/when/how you perform customizations to the reference computer.  Seems like it just reboots and starts the capture.

24. problem of post OS installation Task Sequence says:

I created a custom task sequence which only includes Install Application, when I start to deploy, got the error, the task sequence has been suspended, even I use diskpart to clean disk 0.

Did I miss something?

25. Jeff25 says:

how does Sysprep.inf work with Capture TS

26. DG says:

New cool stuff. How about some documentation on how to use the Post OS IT?

Thanks.

27. Ahmed usama says:

i want templates to deployment win7 & 8 with MDt

28. showbox says:

Thanks for the great info. I really loved this. I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    For more info on showbox please refer below sites:
    Latest version of Showbox App download for all android smart phones and tablets.
    http://movieboxappdownloads.com/ – It’s just 2 MB file you can easily get it on your android device without much trouble. Showbox app was well designed application for android to watch movies and TV shows, Cartoons and many more such things on your smartphone.
    For showbox on iOS (iPhone/iPad), please read below articles:
    Showbox for PC articles:
    There are countless for PC clients as it is essentially easy to understand, simple to introduce, gives continuous administration, effectively reasonable. it is accessible at completely free of expense i.e., there will be no establishment charges and after establishment
    it doesn’t charge cash for watching films and recordings. Not simply watching, it likewise offers alternative to download recordings and motion pictures. The accompanying are the strides that are to be taken after to introduce Showbox application on Android.
    The above all else thing to be done is, go to the Security Settings on your Android telephone, Scroll down and tap on ‘Obscure sources’.

Comments are closed.