1. adwbust says:

mmpc always says to keep windows up to date. but windows update is broken nowadays! its been 4-5 hrs now and vista has yet to finish checking for updates! i last updated this in october of 2015! this windows update behavior is contrary on how to keeps PCs safe! mmpc and the windows update team are clashing! how would someone be motivated to update if checking for updates takes hours! they should fix this! updating has been really a PITA which isnt in the past. someone needs to get fired!!!

2. adwbust says:

I updated to 4.9.218.0 using offline installer/setup upgrade. I’m disappointed. During upgrade, I was asked to join Customer experience improvement program (ceip). I did. After install, I checked mse > about and I’m not joined to ceip. I try to join and got a uac prompt which I allowed. I checked again and still not joined to ceip!!! This bug was also present in 4.8! Still not fixed in 4.9!

4.8 maps was set to advanced. After upgrade to 4.9, maps was re-set to basic. Tsk.

That Administrator setting to detect/warn about pua/spy threats is out of place and should be labeled correctly. Transfer that to settings > advanced as warn and remove ad/pup/pua/spy threats option.

I’m on windows 7 x64.

3. adwbust says:

what is this new PUA detection? detection based on publisher? wouldn’t that make definitions redundant and cluttered? you have pua and bundler classification for prepscram. isn’t potentially unwanted = adware/bundler/fakeapp/fakecleaner? isn’t potentially unsafe = hacktools/POCs?

when mse deems a pe file suspicious, it sends a copy to lab. but the important question is, if user runs it, does mse block it or at least prompt/warn user? mse is too passive and laidback. its like you suspect someone being robber but still let him enter your house.

4. What if I do not have Advanced Threat Protection ?
    Are these kinds of threats detected by regular Office365 protection ?

5. a says:

If you want people to look at file extensions, you should stop hiding file extensions as default Windows behavior.

6. adwbust says:

hey mmpc, can you pls take a look at SubmissionId=09004f70-c23c-4632-84ce-0e0c6ba5c1bd description/additional info?

there’s a flaw/bug in mse 4.9.218.0 real-time guard on vista x86. pls fix it!

1. Lani Osi says:

Count me to this one with the current and previous as of today’s – Win Def won’t run at all – it splutters!

7. ThatGirl-007 says:

running win 8.1/64 bit and cannot find anything about applocker- seems article was written for win 7. I do not understand this at ALL. Is there something more relevant to Win 8.1? That a general user could understand? My Admin tools does NOT have Applocker Group Policy or Group Policy Editor at all…

8. on xp windows update installs security essentials which then can’t download updates (tells you about issue with network connetion), then you get the offline updater which says it’s not a valid win32 executable???

not that clever to make all those XP machines out there that have (or get) security essentials into zombie-targets that then attack other machines

9. Java is not Javascript, why mix them in that section header caption?

10. adwbust says:

mse 4.9.218.0 quarantine management is crap. there’s only 1 entry for same detection in quarantine. what if several files were removed and they were identified as same threat? how would i restore? would all files be restored?! i only want 1 file restored. how to restore to a different/custom path?

11. Lani Osi says:

W T H? Now Win Def won’t run at all; in fact I have no viruses, Trojans or worms – going beyond all the way to possible skitties? What gives? Since the last two updates – it will not work anymore on Win 8.1 Pro!

12. tomkatisere says:

I dropped a java update in my pc on the 28/4/16 now I cant log into yahoo because anther box flashes yellow with a js login run save or cancel cant shift it even tho ive deleted all java out my pc HELP

13. lee says:

thanks

14. ThatGirl-007 says:

You do not even list the most recent WD Definition file- the most recent I received was 1.219.883.0, released on 5/5/16 AT 2:11AM. It reflects what is shown in Change Log (though that IS rare these days) and NOTHING SINCE. Roughly 24 hours since a definition release?? Windows Defender will not complete accurately on my Win8.1/x64 machine, though my Office 2010 is only the 32-bit version.
    Micro$oft, look at all the security issues unanswered and unresolved in the Community… YOU have let things run lazily for YEARS and now it has caught up with you, ME- i.e.; ALL of your PAID USERS. You do not even identify what Win version this “fix” is supposed to help protect. “FIX” posts show images that look very much like Win7, XP, or even Vista, BUT this is 2016 and I DO NOT have anything related to APPLOCKER on my Win8.1 system, then you go on to offer additional solutions for Win10- WTF are you doing??
    I would very much like to be constructive, but I find NO area in your offerings to support! Frustrated? You bet. While I know better than to click on a .js or .jse attachment in an email (now even .zip or .rar files), and have had Macros disabled in ALL of my Office Products for years, as this ceiling is caving in, your response seems very much like a fully armed guard at the door calmly stating, “get an umbrella, please.” Can’t get downloads of definition files, and can’t run Windows Defender effectively even if I could! If I try to download a new suite of Windows Defender -currently running 4.8.207.1- I get errors that indicate the mbam file is unsafe! Don’t want to run that on my very PROTECTION software! There needs to be a fix, in plain English, Windows version specific, that resolves these issues and those mentioned by others in similar posts here. Else hire some REAL professionals to step in and take over the lax attitude you have been pawning off on us Users for years. Someone who can offer more than an umbrella!

15. imay says:

thanks for sharing, like this your post.

16. helen evans says:

Remove or delete all java scripts downloaded on my Nokia Lumia 630 in uk

17. Francis Kim says:

A good spam filter/anti-virus software should do the trick here, am I missing something?

18. BGC says:

My domain is sending this virus, is there anything I can do to stop it?

19. dukebox says:

What about disabling WSH or registering abuse script extension like .JS/.JSE , VBS to notepad as proposed by many AV companies? could that impaired any functionalities?