TFTP client in Vista

At a presentation last week a gentleman asked me if Vista includes a tftp client.  Today I was poking around in the Vista add/remove features and there it is!  Below is the command line output of tftp /?.

1. Yes, good point.  The tftp command is also present in XP.  I should have pointed out that in Vista, both tftp and the telnet command are not installed by default, you have to add them.  As a user the easiest way is via the Programs and Features applet in Control Panel using the "Turn Windows Features On or Off" link on the left pane.

2. For transferring to/from a web server you probably want to use "ftp" rather than "tftp".  There is more detail on tftp here:

3. XmasKiwi says:

Same is in XP

4. gentlesea says:

Thanks for pointing that out, so I don’t need to start my Linux system anymore for tftp sessions.

5. Becky says:

OK I have it turned on, now how do I use it to transfer files to a website?  I’m totally new to this.

6. Dave says:

Thanks for the TFTP info in vista. Dave

7. Wayne Walton says:

Thanks for this, I was looking to flash a router, and realized I couldn’t find tftp in Vista.

8. Herry John says:

Thanks for this info Mate, I really was experiencing problems flashing my router b4 enabling this. But now its smooth

9. Ty Broussard says:

I found this file that has two designations-one a simple file transfer app and the other is Terrorist Finance Transfer Protocol.  I am shocked as I am an American with no ties at all to terrorists or crime or very much money for that matter.  I’ve been harrassed and stalked for 2 years and now I know why but the reason is inexplicable.  I haven’t done anything and I don’t know who to contact to find out what the problem is and get myself off the list of this "protocol".  I’m scared to death! My email is  Please email me if you have info on this situation. I haven’t done anything wrong!

Ty Broussard  360-449-2488

10. lega says:

thanks a lot for this info ! i was trying to find a way to use this

11. EwedaMaan says:

Hi Ty

A bit of advice is to never use your real name, or leave you email and certainly not your phone number on a message board like this or you will be harrased