Good Read: Why STEM Education & Blended Learning Matter

By Kristin Lee, Microsoft Senior Public Relations Manager

Our friends at the Microsoft on the Issues blog are featuring a post about the most recent event from the @Microsoft series focused on education. In Washington, D.C., the Microsoft Innovation & Policy Center hosted a panel on “Preparing the Next Generation for 21st Century Jobs: Why STEM Education & Blended Learning Matter.”

clip_image002[6]

The lively and robust conversation examined what types of STEM skills 21st century jobs require and explored critical design elements of successful and innovative education programs.

The discussion focused on how education innovators can design responsive, engaging and academically rigorous programs to prepare students to meet the STEM workforce demands of the 21st century. This event also followed our recent announcement of Microsoft’s $1 million, three-year grant to support the CityBridge-NewSchools Education Innovation Fellowship.

Representative Todd Rokita (R-IN-4) and Bill Kamela, Senior Director of Education and Workforce, Microsoft kicked off the event, which also featured Katherine Bradley, President, CityBridge Foundation; Ed Dieterle, Ed. D., Senior Program Officer for Research, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; and Jonathan Rothwell, Senior Research Associate and Associate Fellow, Metropolitan Policy Program Brookings Institution, and Dr. Linda Rosen, Chief Executive Officer, Change the Equation. 

You can follow the conversation at @MicrosoftIPC and @MSFTissues on Twitter.