Initiating “Conversations on Privacy”

Posted by Brendon Lynch
Chief Privacy Officer, Microsoft

As we engage with people around the world, it is clear that privacy issues are top of mind for consumers, businesses, governments and policymakers. It seems like every day there is a new story highlighting concerns related to the collection, use and protection of personal data. Legislators and regulators are carefully monitoring the landscape, and actively exploring ways to protect consumers’ privacy. Meanwhile, consumers are getting more engaged, and asking important questions about how data is protected.

To advance this discussion, Microsoft is launching a series of privacy conversations at our Innovation & Policy Center in Washington, D.C. Microsoft has a longstanding commitment to privacy, and works hard to earn the trust of customers around the world by, in part, developing and adopting meaningful privacy practices. We believe companies have an important role to play in privacy discussions and at each event we will convene a diverse mix of stakeholders to explore some of the most pressing issues related to data privacy.

The first conversation, happening this week, will focus on the need for companies to implement comprehensive privacy programs that help ensure data is collected and used responsibly, and which demonstrate accountability by building information safeguards into new products and services.

I am pleased to be joined by an impressive group of privacy experts who will help us examine the issue from a variety of perspectives: Federal Trade Commissioner Julie Brill; Leslie Harris, president of the Center for Democracy and Technology; Professor Peter Swire of Ohio State University and the Center for American Progress; and Barb Lawler, the chief privacy officer of Intuit, who will join me in detailing some of the specific ways that each of our companies work to safeguard our customers’ data.

I anticipate a lively and informative discussion on Friday and look forward to continuing the conversation in future installments of our privacy series.

1. harry argent says:

i think window 9 is  best  one have  on my  computer

Peter Swire has been "influenced" by Microsoft for years.  Brendon, consider having 3rd parties blog for you, ones you may not fund through grants or pay directly.  These pieces lack credibility coming directly from someone paid to say such things.

3. Biplob Ghosh says:

Windows7 Eternity Edition Active&updat

4. Tai says:

What if a Microsoft initiative or rogue group instigates an attack, even if based on good faith, what prevents the rogue from guarding their reputation to the evil ends that people are known to?  What if I can prove be after an attack dating back to at least Nov 10 2010 but only recently I started to suspect Microsoft updates as the culprit.

I have logs and proof but even as i speak my defenses are being deleted by so called defending software against malware.  it is why we have a 2nd amendment..to guard against the abuse of the powerful.  I know this to be true in my case.

using panther side by side and other virtual technologies like emulating pci and usb data, even collecting private bedside moments has been breached, theoretically if needed I am ready to plead for it to stop.  Now only to discredit me or introduce real virus's.  the ability to ridicule is at your fingertips so I can only try this to beg for help.  I am registered under msdn and live.com.  i  have logs that show predatory behavior even capturing a potential mac address.  i have had gigabytes of data deletec and log files erased.  only by other techniques do I continue to collect damning evidence.  but I am only trying to abide by rules and hold others accountable.  PLEASE help!

5. kiyarash says:

Initiating “Conversations on Privacy”