Helping people protect their Hotmail accounts

Posted by Walter Harp
Director of Product Management, Windows Live

Over the past few months, Windows Live has announced several new security features that will provide additional account protection for people on Hotmail, including Single Use Codes, Full Session SSL, SMS-based account recovery, and Trusted Senders – this all in addition to our SmartScreen safety filter, which helps protect people against phishing and malware.  You’ll see even more from us in the weeks ahead.

In the last two years, consumer webmail and social networking services across the web have experienced an increase in the incidence of hijacking, which occurs when someone illegally gains access to another person’s account – email, social profile – and then uses that account for malicious activity. In a typical scenario, hackers will hijack large numbers of accounts and then use those accounts to send spam or social invites to the victims’ friends or others on the victims’ contact lists.

As two security experts from Google and Microsoft discussed yesterday on the video embedded in this blog, no consumer email or social networking service is immune to this challenge.

This week, Hotmail began a new effort to proactively restore control of hijacked accounts to their legitimate owners, enabling people to kick the spammers out using simple, self-enabled methods.

For anyone who requires additional assistance, we have set up a dedicated support path at http://windowslivehelp.com/accountrecovery

Hotmail is committed to safeguarding our customers’ accounts, fighting spam, and preventing malicious activity on the service. We are constantly monitoring the service for unusual activity and routinely take steps to secure our customers’ accounts.

Please visit this page to learn more about how you can protect your Hotmail credentials.

1. PA Bear, MS-MVP says:

You couldn't have told us about this before the 24th?

Glad to hear you've gotten the "Windows Live ID is experiencing technical difficulties – Please try again later" problems sorted…at least for now.

PS: The linked Live IDs functionalty is finally working now, too!

2. qingqing says:

hi.. everybody…

now my country  get the problem with msn and e-mail…the most problem is we can not sing in our account , when we try to put out id and password  it's will show we put wrong but we sure we put correct id and password  …and now have show error code : 80048823 …. so can u team help me check this my e-mail   wenqing_rain@hotmail.com   cas we really wnat u help ..we lose oppertunity to do business and we so sad alot  cas we can not open e-mail .  if u have something introduce pls. contact to my new e-mail : wenqing_rain@hotmail.co.th

thank you so much for u help me   cas now have many peopein Thailand waitting u team help..

3. vasana ( Thailand ) says:

I can't sign in my account ,when we try to put out id and password it's will show we put wrong but I'm sure put correct  so can u team help me check this my e-mail thvasana@hotmail.com.

If u have something introduce pls.contact my  new e-mail ; th.vasana@windowslive.com

waiting u  team help me…

4. It is happen the same with my account. Please tell us when it is sloved. and we hope it will be as soon as possible. we need to work

thanks

5. WONG KAI WAH says:

i had try every step provide by MSN but it does not work cause the alternate  e mail that you are sending too cant be recover by me.now i register an new account  ronniekohloh2010@hotmail.com but i still need to recover my old account mail at ronniekohloh@hotmail.com cause mostly mail inside are my business mail.Any mail about recovering my password can be mail to my new account.Please help

6. kornnathai (Thailand) says:

I can't sign in my account (mightyreds2004@hotmail.com) ,when i try to put out id and password it's will show me put wrong but I'm sure put correct  so can u team help me check this my e-mail

If u have something introduce pls.contact my  new e-mail : kornnathai@officemate.co.th

I hope your team  will help me because this e-mail very important for me

7. marut (Thai) says:

Please help me! my account (mewwem@hotmail.com)

any information contact: mewwem@gmail.com

Thanks

8. charoonsri (Thai) says:

I can't sign in my account (little_pooh2009@hotmail.com)

If you have information to introduce,please contact me at little_nn@hotmail.co.th

9. sasitorn (thai) says:

I can't sign in my account : p.on@hotmail.com

contact me at osiris_isis_horus@hotmail.com

10. Robotic(Thailand) says:

I can't sign in my account (kungandpotter@hotmail.com) ,when i try to put out id and password it's will show me put wrong but I'm sure put correct  so can u team help me check this my e-mail

If u have something introduce pls.contact my  new e-mail : kungengin@yahoo.com

I hope your team  will help me because this e-mail very important for me ,

11. Ann (Thailand) says:

I can't sign in my account. When I try to put out my ID and password, it shows me that I put wrong but I'm sure its correct  so could you please help me to solve this problem. This is my e-mail account mynameisann_32@hotmail.com.

Thank you for your kind. I hope to hearing from you soon.

Best Regard

12. nongpee_friend@hotmail.com says:

Since last 2 weeks, I have not been able to access my email (nongpee_friend@hotmail.com). It showed like I have logged in with wrong password too many times while I have not done so.

Plus, I have already changed password by letting the system send "reset password" to my alternative account but I can't still access my email.

They shown like this.

———————————————

สัญลักษณ์ของข้อผิดพลาด การลงชื่อเข้าใช้ถูกบล็อก

การลงชื่อเข้าใช้ด้วย nongpee_friend@hotmail.com ถูกบล็อกด้วยสาเหตุใดสาเหตุหนึ่งดังต่อไปนี้:

* มีการพิมพ์รหัสผ่านไม่ถูกต้องหลายครั้ง

* หากคุณลงทะเบียนใช้งาน ID นี้ผ่านองค์กร คุณอาจยังไม่สามารถใช้งานบัญชีนั้นได้

———————————————

PLEASE HELP

13. manal says:

hi ,i didnt have Responsive from you my ID 52738815

i try evry thing but my account is block pleas i want my email

full-in-love77@hotmail.com

14. Steven says:

Hello,

My msn account is blocked dad_j_outlaw97one@hotmail.com can you help me?

Cordially

15. John says:

hallo  i think i am lost in japan now

16. mkrahmani says:

i cannot reach my account …windows live telle me that my account blocked…i have changed my password….ther is anithing take..i cannot access to my account…please send open me my account

…….i 'am teacher in algeria and my studens cannot to reach me…….my phone is

0555 456406 and my account is mkrahmani@hotmail.com……please open my account

17. mkrahmani says:

it's also me…..my alternative mail is mkrahmani@yahoo.fr

18. guirou says:

help me my professional e-mail was blocked  10/2010

19. guirou says:

my professional  email was blocked  oct2010   help plz

contact me at     guirou_fr2000@yahoo.fr

20. Francesco says:

My msn account is blocked cyclonebox@hotmail.com

code d'erreur  800488fe help me please.

21. Francesco says:

my msn account proffessional blocked help me please

contact me at dream_escape@live.fr

22. adnan says:

my hotmail account is blocked , sanam_ss@hotmail.com. plz can you help me……

23. willian vayda nardini says:

nao  cocigo  entra  no  mail   obrigado  me   ajuda

24. Thiago Coutinho says:

Hy there, i'm having serious problens with Hotmail. My accout is blocked and i can't reset it. I wanto to change my alternative email, but they always say that you need to sign in, but i can't. Ther are some questions to validate account, but there is an blank space to right down the answer for the secret question…….but they don't where is the question??? I have hotmail account for more than 10 years and i do'n't remeber the secret question, rsrsrs!! So i use that account to work, it-s blocked, and i can't doi anything about it. The worse thing is that they don't have any phone numbers or support emails that i can talk with, here in Brazil!! Can anyone help me? Thanks

25. Thiago Coutinho says:

PS: my new email account is: thiagoschettino@gmail.com .

Thanks again

26. gacal says:

hello

my acount has been block, when i try to sign in  beergadiiid@hotmail.com   it says continue  than is snot gonna lo on please help me

27. Ariane says:

my mailadress is block i need help arianevz@live.se…how can you help med Ive done everything in the resoluton center nothing helps…please help me 🙁

28. Ariane says:

I have tried everything gone all the steps in the resolution center nothing helps…my adress thats blocket is: arianevz@live.se..you can contact me on zedlitzariane@hotmail.se…I need help please 🙁

29. Seliha says:

Hi,

I can't sing in my msn messenger – selihas@hotmail.com.

Error 800488fb – Cannot Sign in to Windows Live Messenger

Help me, please!

Seliha (seliha78@abv.bg)

30. Brenda says:

Please help me to get back my hotmail account. Notting is working

31. ์Nutthpol says:

Hello Microsoft team .

I can't to access my account because it was blocked!

please unblock my account  (Nut_Baaa@hotmail.com)

If you want to contact me please send email to    Nutthapol.Kij@gmail.com

Thank you for help.

Best Regard

32. Sarah Wong says:

i guess every one also facing same problem as me "Hotmail account blocked" ! i been email to hotmail customer service asking to help me reset my password. they asking me provide the information to prove that im the hotmail owner. yes, i did it … the end they told me those information i provide doesnt match it…really unbelieve ! some more inside my hotmail i keep all  my old friends contact n email and alot old email n important email too. again's … hotmail customer service team not even solve my problem n ask me re-create new account again ! now i facing problem, they not even help me solve n leave the problem there ! what the service hotmail n microsoft provide to us ??? we trust hotmail n microsoft … the end what service they give to us ? im here not complain just want to share the experience i hv.

im the victim … im not open my hotmail let people hack my hotmail account. those stupid "HACKER" too free there, why not use more time to find them out n help us block those stupid hacker away !!!

here not only me is a victim … im sure still hv million or billion there waiting microsoft support team help. we trust u .. the end u all give us this kind of service.

33. waleed says:

hello ,   I want to restored my account , Please help me solve this problem .

my e-mail account   alhomaydi@hotmail.com

34. PatRick says:

Hello, I'm having serious problems with Hotmail. My account is blocked and i can't reset it. I tried every thing but my account still block I got a code that you sent to my phone but I couldn't reset my password, I got some problem few months ago and I changed my password and every thing was working normal in my account and than is blocked now!!!! please,.. please,.. please,… help me.

– Account blocked is (mehdipat@hotmail.com)

– Account you can send me a message to ask me about any info you need (mehdipat@yahoo.com)

– Phone N.: 1 (310) 990 7449

35. Heba says:

I forgot my password, and then i use the reset option and already manage to have a new one, the problem is after chaging the password i found that my account has been blocked and i hardly tried many many times to sign in but i couldn't,,,,the msg. said that they will send me my code on an email that i am not using anymore,please help me in geting my mails back,,i have been more than 2 weeks trying to restore my account

36. Stanislav says:

Hello, I'm having serious problems with Hotmail. My account is blocked and i can't reset it. I tried every thing but my account still block. I got  problem few days ago. .

– Account blocked is (stanislav_petrovski@hotmail.com)

– Account you can send me a message to ask me about any info you need (stanislav1986@hotmail.com)

– Phone N.: +389 75 310 124

37. elvis says:

hi i need help I have hacked my hotmail please reply to this message

djahijado@hotmail.com

my Grei_May_561@hotmail.com

Clave: 11051419greys

please

38. palmer says:

hi, my msn account has been blocked for a couple of days now, i need to get to it…

i have try'ed every thing.

help me please.

cordially

39. nelson says:

Hi guyz….! heuh should i add more info? it looks like we all have the same problem. please can you help? cagyns@hotmail.com. i tried EVERYTHING over and over but nothing works. Buddy i created my acount in 2001, do you really expect me to remember my secret question? and my alternativ email gynsca@hotmail.com doesn't exit either anymore?

What should i do? we're hundreds of dudes with the same problem.

So please can you help?

40. aljuaid says:

I am another one that has been blocked (jouid2007@hotmail.com) for a week (not few minutes)  I've tried to recover my account, I've answered questions, give al alternative email, gotten pin number to access the process a couple of times and nothing have worked.  so far I have not been able to get my account back.  I don't know what else to do.  I have very important mails I urgently need to read and answer, from my work.

I need help!!!!

41. Khusro Tarin says:

hello sir.

my lock account is khusrow_tarin@hotmail.com I made this account about 8 years  ago in pakistan. i did't get important the question to unlock again. so pleas send the pinckod back in mateen12344@hotmail.com.

42. Kitti(thailand) says:

Please help me!

I can't sign in my account

my account (hs9kuu@hotmail.com)

any information contact: prcc.neng@gmail.com

Thanks

43. filippe says:

I can't sign in my account My msn account is blocked  (filmercati@hotmail.com)

If you have information to introduce,please contact me (uallareconn@hotmail.com)

pleassssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

44. Lynn Morris says:

I have recieved an email that says it is from you regarding an email draw that took place April 1st in which I won an amount of money in US dollars and a dell laptop.  I am guessing this is another person trying to get information or money.  Is there a way that we can tell what is true and what isn't?

45. shehab says:

Hi also me i cannot sign to my messenger and too much difficulties for signing to my hotmail.My email is shehab15@hotmail.com.Pls help as this unfair as i cannot change my email with new one.

Thank you in advance.

46. oli says:

all this is complete junk you banned me from my own account and the recovery system just sends me on a continuous loop of validation and password reset day after day please sort your lives out so i can get on with mine

olitinds@hotmail.co.uk

alt email olitinds@aol.com

47. houda says:

plz i cant sigh to my email: hdhouda819@hotmail.com

plz help me bcz i need it in my work

48. arez says:

como hago para activar mi cuenta ya que fue bloqueada por msn

49. hardik Desai says:

Hi hotmail,

I really need help it been almost 6 days my account has been blocked and i tried doing all the necessary steps for it. All my emails and folders are n my email id. please unblock my account asap. I have filled up all the forms, tried re setting my password and stuff but doesn't help…

50. Peter Vivekananda Amanna says:

My hotmail account has been blocked from last 2 months i have been solutions by support team but nothing seems to works.

All get the below message after trying all the options page. My problem is I cannot sign in the after following the instructions i have been to sign in this ridiculous.

"Please try again

There was a problem and unfortunately, we have to ask you to sign in again. We're sorry for the inconvenience"

I currently reside in the uae, Dubai. and please note i pay for the account annually.

Email ID having problem: vivekdxb@hotmail.com

Contact email: vivekdxb1@gmail.com

Contact no: +971 50 6742154

51. kh003@hotmIL.COM says:

Please help me my account has been blocked and I can not restore

I need a lot

Please reply

52. DELMA brasil says:

como hago para activar mi cuenta ya que fue bloqueada

é ninnaa.1@hotmail.com fone [61]84660250

53. jose ruben says:

hola que tal, quisiera saber como puedo desbloquear mi cuenta de hotmail, ya que Uds me han bloqueado la cuenta.

desde ya muchas gracias por una respuesta favorable

54. Alexander says:

Since many years ago I had my MSN – hotmail address, and, it worked out fine, very well I must say. Over 13 years I had no problem.

Last week suddendly My msn- hotmail stop working, hacked address, block address, many a many intructions to get it back and never got a good answers many contact lost, and interactios lost. What is it all about?

Can someone help?

55. Nitin Singapore says:

I can't sign in my account ,when we try to put out id and password it's will show we put wrong but I'm sure put correct  so can u team help me check this my e-mail nitin_raghav@hotmail.com.

If u have something introduce pls.contact my  new e-mail ; marketing@exelmitsui.com