Honoring the Educators and School Leaders Transforming Education Through Technology

Prague WinnersThe herculean efforts put forth by educators and school leaders around the world each and every day often happen in the shadows. In classrooms of all shapes and sizes, these everyday heroes work day-in and day-out to prepare our children to succeed in an increasingly complex world. We expect much of our educators – after all, the future is literally in their hands — but rarely do we stop to recognize them. So when I have the opportunity to shine a light on their efforts, it’s a very good day.

Today, I have the honor of announcing Microsoft’s 2014 Expert Educators and Mentor Schools. These exclusive, year-long programs were created to recognize educators and schools who are on the leading edge of education innovation, paving the way for their peers in the use of technology to improve learning and student outcomes. Expert Educators were selected from over 22,000 educators in 158 countries, while Mentor Schools came from nearly 250 schools in 75 countries.

We’ve offered educator and schools programs for more than 10 years and years and we’ve seen incredible advances in what educators and school leaders are doing with technology, both inside and outside the classroom. In the early years, using interactive whiteboards as a teaching tool was groundbreaking (and rare). Over time, 1:1 programs and mobile devices have become more common in the educator’s toolkit, and the project-based, differentiated learning these tools enable gets more and more sophisticated.

For many reasons, not least of which is the urgent need global companies like us have for a well-educated and prepared workforce, we at Microsoft are deeply committed to doing whatever it takes to effect a holistic transformation of learning. This isn’t transformation for the sake of change. Rather, it’s about making a real impact on educational outcomes and offering young people – regardless of circumstance — a chance at a promising future.  Creating opportunities for youth certainly runs deep at Microsoft as seen in our global YouthSpark initiative that includes Imagine Cup, DigiGirlz, DreamSpark and more.

Selected today are 250 Expert Educators and 80 Mentor Schools representing nearly every corner, or should I say classroom, of the world.  During the year of their award, educators and school leaders will be heavily involved in advising us on education innovation. They will provide insights on new products and tools, and will help us understand how technology works – or doesn’t work – in real-life classrooms. For this, we are extremely grateful.

But perhaps more important than the role they play in helping us do better for today’s students is the influence they will have on their peers. When today’s winners gather at the Microsoft in Education Global Forum in Barcelona this March, they will collaborate, share insights and ultimately, help educators and schools around the globe better prepare students for the 21st century.  And I couldn’t be more proud of the role that we at Microsoft play in the process.

–Anthony Salcito

Posted by Anthony Salcito
Vice President, Worldwide Education, Microsoft

1. Haddi Abderrahim says:

Congratulations to all Educators and to all Mentor Schools. I am glad to learn that our moroccan school became the first Mentor School in our country, (in our town :) KENITRA) , This school has a good team which worked hard and did a great job.

2. Sona Manukyan says:

Congratulations to all of us,we are so happy.

3. Michael AIBA says:

I am sad that i am not part of the 250 Educators who are going to attend this fabulous conference and share ideas and best practices. I really wanted to attend this conference in order to have more strength to push my school to adopt the MS IT Academy and integrate Kinect technology in teaching in our school (International Community School of Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, West Africa) and also instil the knowledge that i will gather ther . Right now, i am striving to have Office 365 for our school but unfortunately, the users in our school are not enough to get the Office 365 for Education. So we are trying to get the Office 365 Pro. I am a big advocate of Microsoft Solutions for Education in my school and the honor of being part of the educators who will participate to this fabulous and enriching conference would have been really positive for my push to MS solutions for educations in my school.

I would to congratulate all those have been chosen.

Michael AIBA

Library and IT Instructor

Yearbook advisor

International Community School of Abidjan

maiba@icsaac.onmicrosoft.com

4. Ghadeer Obiedat says:

Congratulations to all of expert educators and mentor schools,we are so Lucky

5. Anutosh Deb says:

Congratulations!

Feels good to be a part of the Microsoft Expert Educator network!

6. MOHAMMAD MOHIUL HOQUE says:

Congratulation to all winners, I am very happy that going to Participate Partners in Learning Global Forum Barcelona-Spain, I hope to Share and Exchange New Ideas, ICT  and New Technology Teaching Methods, Lot of Thanks to Microsoft for Giving this Unique Opportunity to Teachers and schools around  The World. With kind Regards  Mohammad Mohiul Hoque, Bangladesh

7. dentila garipi says:

congratulations all educators!!! Nice opportunity to change experiences!!! :))))

8. Sanjeev Kumar Taneja says:

Congratulations!

Feels good to be a part of the Microsoft Expert Educator network!

9. José Luis Miranda Muñoz says:

Estoy muy contento de haber sido seleccionado por Microsoft para participar de este foro y espero intercambiar experiencias y aprender nuevas herramientas.

10. José Luis Miranda says:

I am very happy to have been selected by Microsoft to participate in this forum and hope to exchange experiences and learn new tools.

11. Ashima says:

Congratulations to all the Winners…!

12. Wow! I am so thrilled to have been named a microsoft expert educator 2014! So proud that my efforts of transforming education through technological tools have been realized! Barcelona! Barcelona! Here i come! Phuti  Ragophala(principal)

13. Shiroma Weerathunge says:

Congratulations to all expert educators!!!! I'm glad to have been selected as an expert educator & can't wait to celebrate in Barcilona….

14. Kurt Söser says:

So happy to be selected. I am really looking forward to meet all the innovative 250 teachers from around the world. Next week is kick-off with the first webbinar. Truely excited

15. Rukmani Shreedharan says:

Congratulations to all Mentor Schools and I am happy that our school is also one among them. We look forward to this wonderful programme and hoping to create an impact in the learning horizons of our students and peers as well. Hoping to meet the other school leaders at Barcelona.

16. Gloria Wood says:

I am so excited and honored to be part of this amazing group of educators from all over the world! I can't wait to learn more about Microsoft and the 21st century classroom. See you in Barcelona!

Thank you!

Thank you so much guys!

To Coza Cares, Schoolnet, the then Netday, former MASTEC,ARGO, CPSI Avuxeni, the list is endless. you really changed my live for good. The IT skills that you instilled in me, made me to be amongst the best educators internationally. and that will be my first international flight ever taken. Changing lives in deed!

Whatever the future holds, the soul of teaching profession will forever remain relevant to changing lives! As Nikos Kazantzakis, a Greek philosopher said” Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse ,encouraging them to create bridges of their own”

You really taught me on how to create a bridge for myself using the ICT tools in class. As such I will go on creating bridges for others to cross successfully as I did and will also encourage others to do the same to others .LOL!
    A recurring process!!!!LOL!