At Microsoft, we encourage individuals of all ages to take charge of their digital reputations by regularly following some important guidance. The start of 2015 seems a fitting time for a refresher. Specifically:
- Discover what’s on the Internet about you by entering your name into multiple search engines.
- Evaluate your online reputation by examining the results.
- Protect your online reputation by behaving online in a manner that reflects the reputation you want to nurture.
- For young people, look to the future and begin cultivating a professional reputation by being mindful of posts, comments and other content. Same goes for adults; and:
- Restore your online reputation and correct any inaccuracies as quickly as possible. Oftentimes, if someone posts something without your permission and you’d prefer that it not live online, a simple request to remove it may be all that’s needed.