Displaying a virtual machine in a PowerPoint presentation

Did you know that you can display your virtual machine from within a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation? Here’s how:

1. On a computer with Virtual Server installed, open Microsoft Powerpoint.
  2. On a PowerPoint slide, click “Insert,” and then click “Object.”
  3. Select “Create new” (the default), in the list click “Microsoft Virtual Server VMRC Control,” and then click “OK.”
  4. Double-click the object on the slide. This opens Microsoft Visual Basic.
  5. On the left side of the screen, configure properties, so your target virtual machine displays. A list of what you have to configure is below.
  6. When finished configuring properties, save the changes in Visual Basic and go back to the PowerPoint slide.
  7. Click the slideshow icon and click “Yes” until the virtual machine displays. If the display shows “No connection,” click “Remote Control,” click “Connect To Server,” and then specify the virtual machine.

Properties to configure in Visual Basic:

Height: Height of the virtual machine display space. I started with 400, and it looks OK on my screen.

Left: Space between the virtual machine display and the left side of the slide. I set it at 50.

ServerAddress: Name of the computer running Virtual Server. I tried connecting to a remote instance of Virtual Server and wasn’t able to get it to work. If you can figure this out, please post a comment, so we’ll all know.

ServerDisplayName: Name of the virtual machine.

ServerPort: VMRC port, 5900 by default.

Top: Distance from the top of the slide for the virtual machine display. I set it at 50.

UserDomain: Domain, if you’re in one.

UserName: Your user name.

Width: Width of the virtual machine display. I set mine at 600.

Note: I’m doing this on a machine that has every possible Microsoft product on it. I assume this will also work for you. If it doesn’t please let me know and I’ll figure out what’s up.

1. Hi Megan

When I try to insert a "Microsoft Virtual Server VMRC Control" it doesn’t appear in the list "Create New". I have instaled Virtual Server SP1 and Office XP. Do you know what can I do to resolve this problem?

TIA

Best Regards

Fernando Reyes

freyes.kickme@throwme.mvps.org

2. Hi, it’s me, Fernando, again:

I’m a fool :-)). I resolved it uncompressing VMRCActiveXClient.cab in %systemroot%system32 and executing "regsvr32 vmrcactivexclient.dll". After I did this, all works perfectly.

Thanks for you tip

Best Regards

Fernando Reyes

freyes.spitme@strokeme.mvps.org

3. Hi, it’s me, fernando, again:

It’s not necesary Virtual Server 2005 to be installed on the computer where you create the presentation. It’s only necesary to register de dll’s on a computer to create a presentation that displays a virtual machine that is a guest system on another computer.

1.- Extract the file %VirtualServerInstallationPath%WebSiteVirtualServeractivexVMRCActiveXClient.cab, from the computer with Virtual Server 2005 installed, in the folder %SystemRoot%system32 of the computer where we want to create the PowerPoint presentation.

2.- Register DLLs:

x86: regsvr32 VMRCActiveXClient.dll

x64: regsvr64 VMRCActiveXClient64.dll

3.- Know, we can insert a "Microsoft Virtual Server VMRC Control" on the PowerPoint slide.

Best Regards

Fernando Reyes

freyes.kickme@throwme.mvps.org

PD: I must appologize my very poor English, sorry.

4. megand says:

Thanks for your tips, Fernando!

-Megan

5. frank fernandis says:

6. Divya says:

This article helped me a lot.And i could solve a problem regard activeX rendering.But i face one more problem, i need to view virtual machine in a secured browser but for normal IE i could see the virtual machine.

Kindly help thanks.

7. hair loss product says:

Well I wana must say that. This blog is very imformative for me and I m very glad full for this blog owner. And I must say this to blog owner u make more this type blogs and we get more information abt this. Thanks

8. Tina helen says:

Using a virtual crash-and-burn machine can also be a lot faster than using a physical machine. One of the positively mind-numbing tasks with my old crash-and-burns was the need to install operating systems onto the hard drives, make "images" of these hard drives, restore the images after the spyware had done something nasty and so on.

9. Rishikesh says:

It is a Nice post i had searched in many of the blogs but not found like this one anyway cheers to all..Suryavanshi Spinning Mills Limited is the industry’s favorite source of best quality 100% Cotton products manufacture. exporters of snowflakes bleached cotton, manufactures of snowflakes bleached cotton Read More..<a href=http://www.bleachedcotton.net&gt; exporters of snowflakes bleached cotton </a>

10. WC says:

your post is impressive, just bookmarked and share with my friends on facebook. Hope to seeing more updates from you

11. Markus C. says:

Hello! I found your post using google search. This is a greatly written article. I’ll be sure to add to my favortie site folder and regularly visit to read more of your informative posts. Thanks so much for the posts. I will certainly come back

12. Carmen says:

Thank you for another fantastic article. Where else could anybody get that type of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I'm on the look for such info.

13. Sonia says:

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I was on the lookout for such information.

14. Kylie says:

I do not even know the way I stopped up right here, however I believed this post was great. I do not recognize who you are however definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

15. Dyson says:

do you got any fb fanpage or twitte? really wanna listen more from you

16. Kent says:

thanks for the detailed steps, I will follow it to prepare my presentation

17. Mary says:

I have been looking for the procedure of displaying virtual machine from within a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation a long long time, I finally found it here, thanks!

18. Helen says:

thanks for the procedure provided,  i think it is useful