You can easily join your VM to a specific domain using the following steps:
Note: VM has to be installed with Windows XP that has VLK (Volume License Key), Retail/MSDN/OEM Installations will not work.
Step 1: SID creation
- This step is relevant when you want to join one or more VMs that are created from the same base machine. Otherwise, skip to Step 2
- Download Microsoft Sysprep tool (Sysprep link for XP VM machine: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Deployment Tools ).
- From the Microsoft Sysprep Tool folder run Setup Manager (setupmgr.exe).
- Click Create New and then click Next.
- Choose your Type of Setup by selecting Sysprep setup and then click Next.
- Select your Windows product, and then click Next.
- Select Yes, fully automate installation and then click Next.
- Fill out the relevant information, in particular the following settings:
- Name and Organization
- Product Key
- Computer Name (you can select the automatic option)
- Administrator Password (The admin needs to have permission to add a machine to the domain). Select the When a destination computer starts, automatically log on as Administrator check box.
- Click Finish.
- Verify that you have created an answer with the settings you have provided (sysprep.inf should have the VM settings).
- Run Sysprep.exe.
- Select the Don't reset grace period for activation check box
- Select the Mini-Setup check box.
- Click Reseal.
- Click OK.
Step 2: MED-V management settings
- Start the Management Console.
- Click Policy.
- Click the Virtual Machine tab and then select the following check boxes:
- Logon to Windows in VM using MED-V credentials (SSO).
- Synchronize Workspace time zone with host
- Click the VM Setup tab.
- Select the Run VM Setup checkbox.
- Click Script Editor and then click Add. Then add the following scripts in the order that they appear:
- Rename computer
- Restart Windows
- Join Domain (complete the domain details)
- Disable Auto-Login
- Click OK.
- Click Commit.
- Click the Virtual Machine tab and verify that the VM appears as the Assigned Image.
Now the VM has been joined to the domain!