Part 3: Step-by-Step Exchange 2007 to 2013 Migration

In part 1 we covered the deployments steps for Exchange 2013, in Part 2 of this series we covered Exchange 2013 configurations and testing, in this part we will start our migration. Make sure to start these configuration outside business hours, also plan a proper downtime to complete these steps and test them.

6.Move Client Access from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013

Virtual Directories

Open Exchange 2007 management shell and run the following commands.

OWA:

Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity "e12-01\OWA (Default Web Site)" -ExternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/owa

Capture1

OAB:

Set-OabVirtualDirectory -Identity "e12-01\OAB (Default Web Site)" -InternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/oab -ExternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/oab

Capture2

ActiveSync

Set-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory –Identity “e12-01\Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync (Default Web Site)” –ExternalUrl $Null –InternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync

Capture3

Web Services:

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory –Identity “e12-01\EWS (Default Web Site)” -InternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/ews/exchange.asmx –ExternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx

Capture4

Unified Messaging:

Set-UMVirtualDirectory -Identity "UnifiedMessaging (Default Web Site)" –InternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/UnifiedMessaging/services.asmx –ExternalUrl https://legacy.contoso.com/UnifiedMessaging/services.asmx
Capture5

Outlook Anywhere:

Set-OutlookAnywhere -Identity "E12-01\Rpc (Default WebSite)" -IISAuthenticationMethods Basic,Ntlm

Capture6

TMG Rules:

Create/update your TMG publish rules

For Exchange 2007 update your publish rules to accept connections for Legacy name space:

CaptureCapture1

Follow the steps in this link to publish Exchange 2013.

DNS Configurations:

Update your DNS records as follows

Internal DNS

Point to TMG Listener

autodiscover.contoso.com

Point to TMG Listener

Legacy.contoso.com

New record Point to TMG Listener

Testing

Apply all your test scenarios for both internal and External client types; once again you can use Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer

7.Move Mailboxes:

Once you complete your tests successfully, its time to start moving mailboxes. you can do this using EAC or Shell.

New-MoveRequest -Identity 'mohsaeed@contoso.com' -TargetDatabase "DB01"

Capture1

You can create Batch moves as described in this link. Once you complete your mailboxes migration let us move to the final steps in this migration process (PF Migration and Exchange 2007 Decommissioning).

1. Recep YUKSEL - TAT says:

Thank you.

2. Mohammad Saeed Abdelaziz says:

@Son can you elaborate more what you are trying to achieve, and the approach you will take…

3. Mohammad Saeed Abdelaziz says:

@ Nacho, what do you mean by accessing the group?

4. As per my Experience, you just need legacy for owa and EWS.

5. Greg says:

Great write up. I am already migrating users however the move request only does 2 mailboxes at a time. Do you have any ideas of how to increase this?

6. Brian says:

For Greg. There is a setting to adjust on target CAS server to increase moves. http://madoxr.blogspot.com/2010/01/increasing-number-of-simultaneous.html

7. Maxime says:

Hi, great articles ! But what about receive connectors after decomissionning Exchange 2007 ? If you don"t recreate receive connectors from Exchange 2007, what’s happening ?

8. GZ says:

HI, I tried to move the mailboxes across using the PowerShell and EMC and both ways I tried the move is just sitting on queued, I left it for a day and the same thing.. Queued with 0% progress.
    Any suggestions?

9. Sam says:

Hey, GZ, I was sitting here watching my attempt at moving a mailbox sit here on zero percent and then I saw this. Did you find out what was causing this, or find a resolution?

Thanks in advance,
    Sam

10. Sam says:

Never mind. . . I just did a get-moveRequestStatistics command and it says percent complete is up to 32. So maybe the command just isn’t refreshing and one must run this get-moveRequestStatistics command every so often to check the progress? Oh well. Good
    luck… to me and you and everyone in this boat…

11. Bimbot says:

As I was migrating from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 213, I got an error, "Set-OwaVirtualDirectory: Object is read only because it was created by a future version of Exchange: 0.10 (14.0.100.0). Current version supported is 0.1 (8.0.535.0)", from Exchange
    2007 management shell when i run the command "Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -Identity "e12-01OWA (Default Web Site)" -ExternalUrl

Please help. Thanks.

12. Sachin says:

this is a nice Article.

13. Nacho says:

Hi. question. im migrating from Exch 2007 to 2013, im mostly finished, I need to move near 2000 users and groups. I need to migrate firs one of the administrators account to test the process, mi question is. will he be able to access groups that are in
    the legacy environment once he will be moved to 2013? or need to move also the groups he has?

thanks.

14. Son says:

Thank you so much for this, you are a life saver! Very straight-to-the point tutorial. Conclusively, can I apply these same steps going from exchange 2013 to another exchange 2013 box? I’m trying to migrate 2007–>2013—>2013 (to be same name/ip as the
    2007 box). My guess is yes.

15. Son says:

the correct approach or is there something easier?

Summation: Migration 2007-2013 keeping original name and IP (swing migration).

16. Peter Durgen says:

There’s no mention of the GAL migration to 2013. How do I know that its operating from a 2013 copy?

17. Noel S says:

All in all a good article however, what you are describing is a transition not a migration. A migration is between different Exchange Orgs

18. Kahn Y says:

Just a follow-up question to Son’s question:
    @Mohammad – I’d like to migrate from 2007 (hostname currently email) –> 2013(new hostname is emailnew) using your approach. I would then like to migrate the 2013(hostname emailnew) to 2013(hostname back to email with original ip address). Would this be the
    correct approach or is there something easier?

Here is my situation:
    Let’s say I currently have Exchange 2013 running under the server hostname "E15". Due to company policy years before I got on the scene, an old administrator named the old Exchange 2007 server with the hostname "MAIL". Thus, all the internal Outlook clients
    use "MAIL.company.com".

I set up the new server internal and external URLs as in step 2 (and in DNS) to "MAIL1.company.com" and proceeded with the migration (remember the actual hostname of the Exchange 2013 server is neither MAIL nor MAIL1 but E15).

The migration has been completed without any problems, however, I now have a situation where all of the internal Outlook clients are still accessing Exchange via "MAIL" which is the hostname of the old Exchange 2007 server.

I would like to change the E15 server internal and external URLs set in step 2 to "MAIL" after decommissioning and removing the old Exchange 2007 server so I do not have to change Outlook settings on all of the internal client PCs.

Please let me know if this at all possible and any potential pitfalls to doing so.

19. Kahn Y says:

To respond to my own question:

Once I deployed the E15 server in the company and migrated the mailboxes from the Exchange 2007 server to the Exchange 2013 server, the existing Outlook clients *SWITCHED ON THEIR OWN* with no user input required.

I had to run the "Set-OutlookProvider" command in the EMS on the Exchange 2013 server with the EXPR *AND* EXCH commands for the Outlook 2007 clients to connect. Immediately after making that change, my test Outlook 2007 connected to the Exchange 2013 server
    without asking for a username or password, detected the mailbox move, and prompted me to restart Outlook 2007 to complete the switchover.

There were no problems with my test Outlook 2007 or any production Outlook 2007 clients afterwards in connecting to the Exchange 2013 server.

20. Pascal Schröder says:

Hello, does anyone know how to speed up the process of migrating the Public Folders? I started the request yesterday and now, after 16 hours, only ~600mb were migrated. Already searched the web but there was nothing that helped me speed up the process.
    Thank you for this article!

21. shane says:

the commands here broke my ecp and wasted a lot of my life fixing them

22. shane says:

the commands here broke my ecp and wasted a lot of my life fixing them

23. @Shane which commands broke your ecp? this part for Exchange 2007 configurations

25. DragonGirl81 says:

Hi. Just a quick question about Step 6 in this guide, the commands to run on the old Exchange 2007 Server that have legacy, what is this step for exactly? Is this so the 2007 Exchange gets redirected (if that’s the right word) to the 2013 Exchange? In
    the previous step the 2013 Exchange was configured with these commands but was using mail.contoso.com but these commands are using legacy.contoso.com. how does this step help with the 2013 migration and if the 2007 Exchange is going to be uninstalled and decommissioned
    when the SBS Server goes, is it actually required now? Thanks

26. Werner says:

Hello,

When migrating from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 213, I get an error, "Set-OwaVirtualDirectory: Object is read only because it was created by a future version of Exchange: 0.10 (14.0.100.0). Current version supported is 0.1 (8.0.535.0)", from the Exchange 2007

Actually I get the same error when running any of the VirualDirectory commands in the Exchange 2007 management shell.

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Thanks.