SharePoint Powershell command problem – FeatureDependencyId are not registered

When you run SharePoint PowerShell on your SharePoint server you get the following error:

Error: "The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered".

Make sure the logged in user who is trying to run SharePoint PowerShell commands is having the right "SharePoint_Shell_Access" to the SharePoint_Configuration database to do so:

• Open SQL Management Studio
  • Browse Security folder — Logins , select the user name that is running power shell , right click properties
  • Click on User Mapping , check SharePoint_config , select SharePoint_Shell_Access

1. Issa Ayyash says:

what happens is that you wont be able to execute powershell commands …

if you installed SharePoint with least permissions (i.e not assigning the farm admin as sysAdmin Db role) this permission might not be there

2. tom says:

So what happens when you don't have that little checkbox/option for "SharePoint Shell Access"?  How do you get it there?  It's not going to be there by default with a new installation of SQL Server.

3. Rao says:

I am not able to do this operation. I am getting the below error message….

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Add member failed for DatabaseRole ‘SharePoint_Shell_Access’.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot use the special principal ‘dbo’. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)

For help, click:

Can you please help me on this…

4. Rao says:

And when I check for this error "Cannot use the special principal 'dbo'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 15405)"

I found the below solution…/cannot-use-special-principal-dbo-error-15405.

5. prashant says:

Excellent, it worked !!

6. Srinivas says:

Please check once “services.msc” if sqlserver (sharepoint) is running or not if service is not running. please run the service it may be one of cause for “SharePoint Powershell command problem – FeatureDependencyId are not registered”.

7. tlhdiver says:

I had the same issue and it was resolved by running right clicking and running as administrator as my security was correct.

8. Vaibhav says:

Thanks 🙂

9. sunitha says:

Hi Team,
    Need help in sharepoint 2013 powershell. when I use the powershell commands getting below error.

"no spanins have registered for sharepoint powershell 4"
    please let me know if you have any idea.

10. Ratnakar says:

Hi All,

I have provided all the Access mentioned above to the Accounts. Still i am facing the Same Issue.
    Please help me on this Issue.
    Thank you.

11. Stunlock says:

I was able to fix the error with a PowerShell command even if the farm was not online. Simple open the SP management console and type "Initialize-SPResourceSecurity"