In Part 1 of this blog series Building Configuration Manager 2012 Hierarchy – Part 1 Installing prerequisites, we’ve configured and installed all features, roles and servers for Configuration Manager 2012.
In this article, we will first start with the Tier 1 Central Administration Site (CAS) installation.
1. Run splash.hta from the Configuration Manager 2012 media
2. Run Asses server readiness and make sure no errors or warnings are displayed
3. Go back to the Configuration Manager 2012 Setup page and click on Get the latest Configuration Manager updates and save the updates on your local drive such as C:\Downloads
4. Go back to the Configuration Manager 2012 Setup page and click on Install
5. On the Before You Begin page press Next
6. On the Getting Started page press select Install Configuration Manager central administration site and press Next
7. Specify product key and accept licensing terms on the Microsoft Software License Terms page and press Next
8. Accept all prerequisite licensing terms and press Next
9. Click Use previously downloaded updates from the following location, and then click Browse
10. Point to C:\Downloads, and then click OK
11. On the Server Language Selection page, keep the default language and press Next
12. On the Client language Selection page, keep the default language and press Next
13. In the Site code box, type CON and in the Site name box, type Contoso Central Administration Site
14. Verify that the Installation folder box contains the default setting of C:\Program Files\ Microsoft Configuration Manager and that Install Administrative console is selected, and then click Next
15. Click Next to accept the default values of the Configuration Manager site server’s installation of SQL Server and CM_CON for the database name
16. Click Next to use the Configuration Manager site server for the SMS Provider
17. Press Next on the CEIP page
18. Review the Settings Summary page and press Next
19. After the prerequisite checker has finishes press Begin Install to start the Configuration Manager 2012 CAS installation
20. Press View Log to monitor the installation details
Now let us have a look at the Configuration Manager status messages
1. Click Start | All Programs | Microsoft System Center | Configuration Manager 2012, and then click ConfigMgr Console.
2. Click the Monitoring workspace
3. In the navigation pane, expand System Status, and then click Site Status
4. In the navigation pane, click Component Status
5. In the results pane, click SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER, and then on the Ribbon, click Show Messages, click All
6. Click OK, click the message, and then on the View menu, click Detail
7. Click OK and on the File menu, click Exit
8. Display all status messages for SMS_HIERARCHY_MANAGER
9. On the File menu, click Exit
10. Display all status messages for SMS_WINNT_SERVER_DISCOVERY_AGENT
11. On the File menu, click Exit
12. Click the Administration workspace
13. In the navigation pane, expand Site Configuration, and then click Sites
14. In the navigation pane, click Servers and Site System Roles
Notice that the installed roles for the central administration site appears in the details pane. Notice also that the site server and site database roles have all been installed on the site server computer (as well as site system and component server). A CAS does not include all the same site system roles that a primary site includes. Because no clients are managed by a central administration site, there is no need for a management point or a distribution point.
This comes to the end of Part 2 Deploying Tier 1 CAS. In our next blog we will deploy our first primary site in the hierarchy.