Welcome all to The Official MDOP Blog, your official source for all things related to the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack! This blog is published and managed by the MDOP Product Management Team and will be packed with information on updates, releases, tips & tricks, and important news that surfaces about our offerings.
What is MDOP?
I know that many of you are very familiar with MDOP, but for the sake of our new friends, I’d like to give you the quick overview of the Pack and what it includes. In short, MDOP is a way to improve IT effectiveness, accelerate processes, and reduce the total cost of ownership of Windows Desktops across your enterprise platform. The Pack includes 5 great tools :
· Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) – Dynamically streams software as a centrally managed service
· Advanced Group Policy Management (AGPM) – Enhances group policy through change management
· Asset Inventory Service (AIS) – Translates software inventory into business intelligence
· Diagnostic and Recovery Toolset (DaRT) – Accelerates desktop repair
· Desktop Error Monitoring (DEM) – Manages applications and operating system failures proactively
· Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) – Formerly Kidaro. Enhances deployment and management of Virtual PC images on a Windows Desktop. Coming soon.
To help you get to know MDOP better, there are a number of great free resources online. Be sure to check them out for the latest MDOP news, tips, tricks and success stories:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/enterprise/benefits/tools.mspx — The Windows Vista site for Vista Desktop Management products. Watch demos, read whitepapers, and hear what benefits other customers have realized with MDOP products. Provides a fairly comprehensive overview of the individual technologies as well.
http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/05/22/update-windows-optimized-desktop-for-the-enterprise.aspx — The Windows Vista blog posts a message from our GM Shanen Boettcher detailing the benefits of MDOP. Does a good job summarizing the big picture to answer the question “why MDOP?”
http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/ — For those of you interested in learning about our Application Virtualization (App-V) product, their team has put together a great blog full of case studies, product updates, and links to web articles on App-V.
Well, that’s all for now, but be sure to keep checking this blog for updates and news on the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack!
–Varun Chirravuri on behalf of the MDOP team