Lync Server 2010 lab deployment guide (Part 4)

So now with all services started we are ready in this final part to create and enable our first Lync users but let me show you first the Lync Control Panel.

1. From the start menu open the ‘Lync Server Control Panel’

clip_image001

2. You will be prompted for the admin credentials as shown below,

clip_image003

3. Add the URL to the trusted zone and don’t forget to remove any proxy settings from your IE or bypass the admin URL

clip_image005

And here is the first look to the Lync CP; honestly I like the new UI!

clip_image007

So let’s enable our users…

1. From the Lync CP we will select Users and then click on ‘Enable Users’

clip_image009

2. Click Add

clip_image011

3. Select the users that you want to enable

clip_image013

4. Select the Lync pool and Under ‘Generate user’s SIP URI’ choose Use the user principal name (UPN), leave the rest on the default settings and then click on Enable.

clip_image014

And here are the enabled users,

clip_image016

Now we are ready to install our Lync client… The installation is very straight forward and there is nothing to be confused in, as you see below, it is just one page with InstallSmile

clip_image017

And after the installation here is the Lync client

clip_image018

And finally user1 is signed in to the lab

clip_image019

So as you see the Lync deployment is different than OCS however the way it’s designed and integrated with tools such as the planning tool and the topology builder is giving the product a strong, scalable and flexible Enterprise UC application…

1. Jeff25 says:

This is a great guide.  Everything worked until I tried to enable a user.  Once I click the enable button, I receive: "Active Directory operation failed on "LABDC.lab.ad".  You cannot retry this operation: "Insufficient access rights to perform the operation."  This is logged in with the Domain Administrator account.  I also checked to make sure that the Administrator was added to the UC Administrators and RTC Universal Admins groups.  Any ideas?

2. PriiT says:

Had the same problem and goti it fixt by editing user security setting in AD. AD Users & Computers >> View >> Advanced Features. Open user >> Security and allow inheritable permissions.

3. KuschelPTS says:

When trying to open the Control Panel I get an error "Response Group Configuration Tool Failure": An unknown error occured.

Is there any way to debug log files?

4. Genabel says:

"allow inheritable permissions". I executed the Enable-CsUser cmdlet and it worked!

5. Genabel says:

sorry, "allow inheritable permissions" did not work for me, but the cmdlet above

6. Angel Escobedo says:

I recommend not use administrator built-in account for log on Lync Client, I create a username from scratch and it works 🙂

not forget to say thanks to our dear friend Mohamed Baher.. Thank Sir!!

7. Angel Escobedo says:

not forget to say thanks to our dear friend Mohamed Baher.. Thank Sir!!

8. aescobedo says:

not forget to say thanks to our dear friend Mohamed Baher.. Thank Sir!!

9. aescobedo says:

not forget to say thanks to our dear friend Mohamed Baher.. Thank Sir!!

10. aescobedo says:

not forget to say thanks to our dear friend Mohamed Baher.. Thank Sir!!

11. Sam Ramasamy says:

Great guide, made the installation job very easy.  By any chance will you be adding deployment guide for enabling external users?  That would be very helpful.  Thanks,

12. There was a problem verifying the certificate from the server

plz help

13. Rainer says:

I do have the certificate-problem as well:

Cannot sign in to Lync. There was a problem verifying the certificate from the server.

I do use a certificate from out CA and already deployed the CA-Cert through GPO.

When I log in the Admin-GUI using the Browser and HTTPS, it says the certificate is valid.

I´d appreciate any help.

14. Mahesh Kulkarni says:

I Installed Lync Server Successfully(All Services are running properly). But when I try to login to Lync Client using TLS it gives certificate error.

I am using Lync Client on the same machine where Lync Server is installed.

please help. I am stucked here.

Thanks and Regards,

Mahesh R. Kulkarni

15. PatRick says:

I also had a problem connecting to Lync Server 2010 using the Lync Client and was getting a certificate error.  The reason for the certificate error was not actually a certificate problem at all.  It turns out that a user must be added to a Registrar Pool before it can connect to the Lync Server using the Lync Client.  If the user you are attempting to login as is not added to a pool you may get that certificate error among other error messages(as I did).  You can add a user to a Registrar Pool by using the Lync Server Control Panel or by using the  Lync Server Management Shell.

Adding a user to a Registrar Pool is easy using the GUI but when I tried to add my particular account to a Registrar Pool it gave an error stating something like "Active Directory operation failed,  You cannot retry this operation: Insufficient access rights to perform the operation."

It turns out that if the account you are trying to add to a Registrar Pool is part of the Domain Admins group, you can't add this user to a Registrar Pool by using the Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Control Panel GUI.  In order to get a user(who is also a member of the Domain Admins group) added to a pool and thus be able to sign in you have to add this user using the Lync Server management Shell.  For whatever reason Microsoft won't let you add a user(who is also a member of the Domain Admins group) to the Registrar Pool via the GUI interface, you can only add them using the command line.

Here's the command to add them:

Enable-CsUser -Identity "User Name" -RegistrarPool "Name.of.your.server" -SipAddressType SamAccountName  -SipDomain domain.local

Reference:technet.microsoft.com/…/gg398711.aspx

Hope this helps!

16. Balaji says:

Mahesh… I had similar problems when i setup the Lync server. All i had to do was to add the enterprise CA to trusted root on the client machine. It worked.

17. Balaji says:

18. Subba Rao CH. says:

Hi ,

I am not able to login to Lync 2010 control panel after changing the admin password of the system, its giving unauthorized after giving username and password.

Please help me in making up my labsetup.

Regards,

_Subba Rao CH.

19. MrCarisma says:

beim überprüfen des zertifikats auf dem server ist ein problem aufgetreten

kann mir jemand helfen?

20. hello says:

can you share me how to configure dial-in conferencing >???