The Solution Accelerators Team is offering customers and partners added inventory and assessment capabilities with the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit 5.0 Community Technical Preview (CTP). The MAP Toolkit 5.0 CTP provides customers and partners with new features such as inventory of heterogeneous server environments; the ability to determine usage of deployed System Center Configuration Manager (a member of the Core Client Access License Suite); and readiness assessment for migration to Office 2010. Over 800,000 Microsoft customers and partners including Costco Wholesale Corporation, Continental Airlines, and Pella Corporation have already downloaded and used this toolkit to help plan for their server and client deployments.
Toolkit Features— What’s New with version 5.0 CTP?
The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit 5.0 CTP includes the following new features:
• Heterogeneous Server Environment Inventory for Technologies including Windows Server, Linux, UNIX and VMware.
• Ability to determine usage of deployed System Center Configuration Manager, a member of the Core Client Access License Suite.
• Office 2010 Readiness Assessment.
• Windows 7 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment.
• Windows Server 2008 R2 Hardware and Device Compatibility Assessment.
• Virtualization Candidates Assessment for Hyper-V Server Consolidation.
• Inventory of VMware Server Hosts and Guests.
• User Interface and Proposal Customization for Partner co-branding.
• Enhanced Usability and Improved Inventory Performance.
• SQL Server Instance Discovery.
• Desktop Security Assessment for Anti-virus and Anti-malware Programs Installation.
• Forefront Client Security/NAP Readiness Assessment.
Benefits to Customers and Partners
Saves Planning or Pre-Sales Time. A detailed network inventory and assessment of servers and desktops often takes days of manual labor. With Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit, you can now conduct an environment inventory of up to 100,000 computers in a matter of hours instead of days, giving you extra time to focus on critical planning or pre-sales tasks and information necessary to make the business case for client, server, and virtualization projects.
Provides Actionable Recommendations and Reporting. The MAP Toolkit provides valuable inventory and readiness assessment reports with environment-specific reports, making it easier for IT migration and deployment projects to get off the ground and running.
Covers Wide Range of Scenarios—from Desktops to Servers. The MAP Toolkit offers technology assessments and planning recommendations for many Microsoft desktop and server products including Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Hyper-V, Virtual Server 2005 R2, 2007 Microsoft Office, SQL Server 2008, Forefront Client Security, Network Access Protection, and more.
MAP 5.0 CTP is available on Connect.