Are you up for the Challenge?
If you answered yes, and if you are you a student, do you know a student or are you going back to school and can you answer a question like this then your ready for Round 1 of the Imagine Cup 2012 IT Challenge:
You are the administrator for the company network. You are bringing a new remote office online. The office has a domain controller that also runs DNS and WINS. It also has a file server that runs DHCP. DHCP enabled workstations are not getting DHCP addresses as expected. What should you do?
- Move the DHCP service to the domain controller
- Disable WINS since it interferes with DHCP on the same network
- Authorize the DHCP server in Active Directory
- Enable DHCP forwarding on the workstations
Well if you can answer that (btw this is from the practice test) then you may be ready to take the test to pass round 1, Until October 20th, go take the practice exam here:
The IT Challenge sets out to connect with students around the world who have the brainpower, interest, and the technical knowledge to design, run, and support enterprise infrastructures while managing diverse customer needs and scenarios. The IT Challenge puts the world’s brightest IT minds to the test! In the IT Challenge, students are tasked to develop, deploy, and maintain IT systems that are efficient, functional, robust, and secure. Each competitor needs to demonstrate proficiency in the science of networks, databases, and servers and an intimate understanding of how it must all fit together, both on-premise and in the cloud. The competition is broken into 3 rounds:
- Round 1: Qualifying Quiz: During Round 1, competitors will need to complete and pass at least one (1) quiz during one of the six (6) quiz periods. The specific quiz times will be announced on the IT Challenge Competition page. The questions will test your knowledge around both on-premise Microsoft technologies such as Windows 2008 R2, Hyper-V Virtualization, Exchange 2010, SharePoint 2010, Windows 7, System Center Operations Manager 2012, System Center Configuration Manager 2012, TMG 2010, UAG 2010, SQL 2008 R2, Office 2010, Lync 2012 as well as cloud-based Microsoft services such as Office 365, Windows Azure, and SQL Azure. Each quiz will have a unique blend of questions on each topic. Remember you just need to pass 1 of the 6 to qualify.
- Round 2: Case Study: If you successfully advance to compete in Round 2 of the IT Challenge, you will compete against other Round 2 competitors in a single case study submission. The specific deliverables and questions for the IT Challenge Round 2 Case Study will be emailed to the Round 2 competitors at the beginning of Round 2.
- Round 3: Final Challenge – Virtual Hands-On Lab: If you are invited to compete in the Final Challenge, you will compete in a “Hands-on Virtual Lab” in a virtual environment. This lab will challenge the finalist competitors to build servers, server images, and configurations on a Hyper-V host server and in the Cloud to prove their practical knowledge and experience with the technologies. Competitors will be asked to set up, install, and demonstrate knowledge and expertise of Windows 2008 R2, Exchange 2010, Windows 7, Office 2010, System Center Configuration Manager 2012, System Center Operations Manager 2012, System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012, TMG 2010, SQL 2008 R2, Lync 2010, Office 365, Windows Azure, SQL Azure, etc.
Depending on how you do there is even a potential of Final world wide round in Australia. If you are one of the top three (3) finalists will receive a trip to the Imagine Cup 2012 Worldwide Finals in Sydney, Australia. Trip includes round trip coach airfare from a major airport closest to each competitor’s home, standard hotel accommodations, and select meals and activities. Here is the current exam schedule Date and Time (all times 00:01 GMT) , I will try to post a reminder before each exam period)
- Practice Quiz: Available beginning October 17
- Quiz 1, 20 October 2011:
October 19th, 2011 8:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. CST, 6:01 p.m MST, 5:01 p.m. PST)
- Quiz 2, 15 November 2011:
November 15th, 2011 8:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. CST, 6:01 p.m MST, 5:01 p.m. PST)
- Quiz 3, 1 December 2011:
November 30th , 2011 8:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. CST, 6:01 p.m MST, 5:01 p.m. PST)
- Quiz 4. 14 December 2011:
December 13th, 2011 8:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. CST, 6:01 p.m MST, 5:01 p.m. PST)
- Quiz 5, 9 January 2012:
January 8th, 2012 8:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. CST, 6:01 p.m MST, 5:01 p.m. PST)
- Quiz 6, 26 January 2012:
January 25th, 2012 8:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. CST, 6:01 p.m MST, 5:01 p.m. PST)
HOW DO I ENTER THE CHALLENGE?
If you wish to participate in this Challenge, you must sign up as instructed during the Challenge sign up period. To sign up, visit Imagine Cup 2012 IT Challenge IT Challenge is an individual competition. To compete in IT Challenge, you must be a legal resident of the country/region you are representing. See all the official rules and Eligibility Requirements here: The Imagine Cup Official Rules