THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 ROCKS SCREENCAST CONTEST
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible for this offer.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Windows 7 Rocks Screencast contest promotion will operate (“Contest”).
In these rules, “we” “our” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of the Contest. “You,” “yourself,” “I,” “me,” and “my” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to create a video that will showcase why Windows 7 is the clear choice over Linux and OS X.
For purpose of this Contest, each video you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria below, and the judges will select winners to receive prizes as described below.
2. WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 AM Pacific Time (PT) on March 1, 2009 and ends at 11:59 PM PT on April 30, 2009 (“Entry Period”). Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible.
3. CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
- You are a legal resident of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia), and are a technology professional and enthusiast; and
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- Entry must be submitted in .WMV format
- Entry size should be at least a screen resolution size of 1024 x 768
- Solution demonstrated in video must be compatible with Silverlight
- Entry must contain quality audio – not muffled or mute
- Entry must be recorded and submitted in English
In addition, it is recommended that your entry video have roughly 15 frames per second.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you (or, if you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian):
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all into content in connection with the promotion of this Contest in all media (now known or later developed); and (iii) use your entry for any purpose including the right to incorporate it or elements from it in on TechNet blogs;
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
If you wish to participate in this Contest, you must visit http://blogs.technet.com/matthewms/archive/2009/03/01/announcement-windows-7-rocks-screencast-contest-now-accepting-applications.aspx, follow all of the instructions provided, and post your video online as well as send your entry information via email before 11:59 PM PT on April 30, 2009. We will only accept one (1) entry per entrant and e-mail address.
In other words, two people may not enter using the same email address – you each must enter using a unique email address. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
- Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
- Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
On or around May 13, 2009, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select Four (4) winners based upon the following criteria:
25% – Creativity
25% – Presentation
25% – Inclusion of Microsoft technologies
25% – Effective demonstration of Windows 7 value
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by an additional judge who will the judge the tied entries based on the criteria listed above.
One (1) First Place Prize. An Xbox 360 Video Game Entertainment System. ARV US $300.00
One (1) Second Place Prize. An 120 GB Zune Digital Media Player. ARV US $ 250.00
One (1) Third Place Prize. An 8GB Zune Digital Media Player. ARV US $ 150.00
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: US $ 2400.00
We will only award one (1) prize per person during the Entry Period.
If for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value as permitted.
If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
9. HOW WILL YOU KNOW IF YOU’RE A WINNER?
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) listed on your entry within seven (7) days of winner determination. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest, or the person residing at the mailing address listed on your mail-in entry.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability/publicity release and W-9 tax form. If you are a potential winner and are a minor in your place of residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate winner.
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold Microsoft their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
12. WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
We will post the names of confirmed major winners online at http://blogs.technet.com/matthewms/pages/windows-7-screencast-official-winners.aspx . This list will remain posted until December 31, 2009.
13. WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052