The next generation of Windows Desktop search is now available! This release signifies a fantastic step forward with common code! The version will be the same for Vista and XP. I will have more information on another post on speed and reliability improvements. Very exciting and important technology!
Windows Search 4.0 lets you perform an instant search of your computer. Windows Search 4.0 helps you find and preview documents, e-mail messages, music files, photos, and other items on the computer. The search engine in Windows Search 4.0 is a Microsoft Windows service that is also used by programs such as Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and Microsoft Office OneNote 2007. You can use this search engine to index a program’s content and to obtain instant results when you search in a particular program.
Windows Search 4.0 includes the following improvements:
- Support for indexing encrypted documents of local file systems
- Reduced affect on Microsoft Exchange when you index e-mail in online mode, and there is no local cache (.ost)
- Support for indexing online delegate mailboxes
- Support for client-to-client remote query to shared indexed locations
- Improved indexing performance
- Faster previewer updates for Windows XP
- Per-user Group Policy settings
- Windows software updates for Watson errors
- Support for new enterprise Group Policy objects.
To learn more and download the latest bits take a look here: