Screencast: How To Install Office Sharepoint Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008

The other day I was building some new demo servers to showcase search capabilities with Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 (MOSS).  During the process I decided to install MOSS on my brand new RTM copy of Windows 2008 Enterprise server.  I had to, it was so new and shiny!  :-)

mosserrorAs some of you may know, I was headed down a one way street to a Program Compatibility Assistant error.  So imagine my surprise when the error box on the right showed up.  This product has compatibility issues, say what?

So I did a live search and found some excellent blogs from Ben Curry and Martin Kearn (BTW Martin I love Guinness too!).   They had ran into the same issue on RC1 as I did and both provided great step-by-step instructions to solve the error, I provided their links are at the bottom of this post.  In a nut shell, Windows Server 2008 is compatible with service pack 1 of both MOSS and WSS.  So all you need to do is slipstream the SP1 bits into the MOSS setup files to avoid the error.

So why this post, well I wanted to show how straight forward this process is.  So I created a quick screencast,which is about 8 minutes long.  During the screencast,  I show installation of the pre-requisites roles (IIS and .NET) for Windows Server 2008, and the error that is created prior to slipstreaming the files for the MOSS install.  I then demonstrate how to extract and slipstream the MOSS and WSS SP1 files into the MOSS installation files.  With the grand finale of kicking off the installation.  Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Watch the screencast here:

Install MOSS 2007 on Windows Server 2008

Additional Resources:

MOSS and WSS SP1 files are located here. You will need both service packs for the slipstream installation.  Note: the links have both the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Great blogs:

Okay folks I have arrived, I have learned how publish with Silverlight, so the post I did today on MOSS:

2. Robin Paardekam says:

Thanks Matt, this was exactly what I needed. I followed your screencast and it all worked out great: MOSS2007 is currently being installed on my server so I thought I could thank you in the meantime. I’ll keep an eye on your blog for future assistance! 🙂

3. Matt Hester says:

Fantastic Robin!!! I am glad it helped!

I am going to be doing some other screencasts, any particular topics you might find of interest?

I tried installing MOSS2007 onto my freshly installed Windows Server 2008 machine but unfortunately I

5. behtash says:

How we can install MOSS 2007 on windows vista home premium edition?It seems that we can not

6. Matt Hester says:

Aside from installing MOSS inside a Virtual PC or Virtual Server.  You cannot install MOSS 2007 on a Windows Vista system.  Take a look at the requirements here:

7. James Cutler says:

The MOSS/SP1 Slip Stream fix needs a 25 Digit Product Code.  Where can I get this as a Technet subscriber?

8. Matt Hester says:

This is the key you got from your sharepoint bits you downloaded from the technet area (or you can request one from your TechNet subscriber area), or if you downloaded the trial versions, you should have gotten an email to your passport account with the key

9. Yassar says:

I was testing Moss installation on Windows 2008. I read the white paper “Installation Guide for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007”. I managed to install MOSS on Windows2008 using the Administrator Account. However, when I tried to install MOSS using Least privilege method , I faced a lot of issues and I suspect it’s because the security features in Windows 2008. One more thing, regarding installing  MOSS using Admin Account and tried to add domain users to site or to be a site admin it won’t resolve their names.

10. Joe McLain says:

Thank you for the screencast!! I wasn’t catching on how to get this done from the docs I was reading.

Now I’m getting the same incompatibility error when loading Project Server 2007.  I don’t suppose you have a screencast on installing Proj Srvr?!?

I’m trying to set up a lab here at home while laid off.  I’m using trial versions of Win Srvr ’08, MOSS ’07(SP1) & Project Srvr ’07.  I also loaded WSS 3.09(SP1) and just found a post that you don’t need WSS when installing Proj Srvr, but I’ve read instructions that you need to install WSS before MOSS.

Your help is appreciated!

Tips for Installing MOSS 2007 (3.0) on Windows Server 2008

12. Jan DD says:

Hi Matt, this screencast was exactly what I needed! Thanks a lot!

13. tom says:

Good stuff!  It didn’t work for me on Windows 2008 x64, but I got a coy of the CD with SP1 included and it’s setup now.  Looking for more info on configuring and maintaining MOSS 2007

14. Kevin says:

Ive downloaded the trial version for sharepoint 2007, ive installed windows server 2008 then moss on basic set up standalone version

when I try to connect I’m asked for a user account password, I havent a clue what to put here its driven me mad.

Can anybody help

Lancashire Uk

15. Kevin says:

Installed the trial version for sharepoint 2007 basic setup

when I come to connect Im asked to enter a username, dont have a clue what to put.

Can anybody help