Windows Vista SP1 is coming soon to a download center near you.

First off thank you to everyone you commented, emailed, and otherwise gave direct feedback to Mike Nash when he announced the Windows Vista SP1 had RTM’ed .  It became very clear form all the feedback from folks like yourself that you wanted the bits, sooner rather than later.  I do not know if you realize we take your satisfaction and dissatisfaction very seriously. You may not know this, but as the TechNet team we work hard to make sure you are heard.

Well you guys gave the feedback and the availability dates are being moved up, now while I cannot give you exact dates I can tell you this:

• SP1 beta participants: Released

• Volume Licensing Customers: By 2/15 we will be making the English version of Windows Vista SP1 available to Volume Licensing customers.  Other languages will follow.

• MSDN / TechNet Subscribers: Later this month

I will put a brief announcement when it does go live.  So what were the problems, well the issues seemed to stem from various Vista drivers, Mike talks briefly about that here: Windows Vista SP1 availability for technical customers

To learn more about what is in SP1 take a look here:

TechNet TechCenter: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)

1. Who cares... says:

Don’t release it at all at this point. We’re sick to death of the lies coming from Microsoft on this issue. It’s OBVIOUSLY not ready. If it was, it would be here. It’s not, so it’s NOT READY. Actually, that just described Vista in general. If I can’t get it to run decently on my Centrino Duo core laptop with 2Gb of memory, then it’s a flat out failure.

2. BrianBeasley says:

Matt,

Thanks for listeneing. The problem is, we get it, YOU guys ARE listening to us. Upper management is not. The only other industry I can think of that has a VAST MAJORITY of their customers demanding a different devliery method is the RIAA itself, and that, my friend, is NOT a compliment.

If it’s RTM and the bits aren’t changing then:

1. Why delay it if it’s going to be the exact same cde delivered to us in a few weeks?

2. Why deliver the code with the known driver issues to the press to review buggy code and report on this to the masses?

3. Why allow some developers complete anonymity to fix THEIR problems while making Microsoft look absolutely stupid doing so and locking out 99% of the other developers by doing so? PAYING developers.

Matt, what Mike Nash is telling us doesn’t add up. Frankly, I think he wanted to push RTM out so he could satisfy the shareholders and others, but this is turning into a disaster for him frankly. He needs to tell us the truth about what’s going on. We ARE the developers. Heck, if Mike Nash had instead of this bungled method decided to actually work with the developers, reach out to us and say, "hey…guys, we need you help getting this small code section updated", I’ll bet he’d have had hundreds of people on the line and your driver issues would be a thing of the past right now. Mr. Nash instead chose the other method…keeping everyone with a lick of experience in the dark. What a poor, poor managment model.

Matt, frankly, I don’t know whether to feel sorry for you or just chalk it up to another Microsoft stooge trying to defend yet another boneheaded decision by Microsoft regarding Vista. I swear, Vista has more bungled management decsisions behind every move that had been made since the orginal RTM that at my company we now refer to it as "Windows BS – (Brittany Spears Edition)"

3. CareBear says:

"I do not know if you realize we take your satisfaction and dissatisfaction very seriously. You may not know this, but as the TechNet team we work hard to make sure you are heard."

We don’t. It’s still the same ol same ol talk…wait until everyone else on the planet has it first, THEN we’ll give it to you because of some secret driver issues. This is still crap. Sorry, but it’s crap.

4. Fredric says:

As a previous poster noted, Matt, it isn’t you. It’s your leadership. No, I do not feel that your leadership has my back. I do not feel that this is any way in my best interest or the interest of my fellow partners. No, I do not feel like I’m being heard. I don’t think Microsoft is taking any of this "very seriously" or it would be a very serious issue.

If Steve Ballmer really meant what he said when he was jumping around on stage last year shouting, "Developers, developers, developers, we love you guys!" then he’d be kicking some serious butt right now with your managment team. Since he’s not, I can only conclude that he really doesn’t care. What other evidence is there? Moving up the release schedule by a few weeks does nothing to address the root problem. I have no idea how you and your TechNet team are going to placate the masses with leadership such as this who clearly can’t make a decision that is so obvious. NO ONE on your TechNet or MSDN subscriber services thinks this is a good idea. You need to recognize who your customers are and that people have paid you hundreds of dollars per year to be treated better than this.

Thanks,

Fredrick Miles, MCSE-2003

5. Fredric says:

Thanks,

Fredrick Miles, MCSE-2003

6. aaron says:

At least give it to the Technet and MSDN subscribers when you RTM… Come on isn’t that what we pay for?

7. MikeMarrow says:

Just got out of a meeting yesterday morning where it was determined that we will never be upgrading to Vista due to "managemements concern over stability, technical support, and deployment concerns". The non-slipstreaming was the deal-breaker, but having to rely on downloading a services pack (a service pack less) from the pirate bay just inked the deal. Thanks TechNet for making my job easier! I now don’t have to worry about upgrading until Windows 7. All I need to do is upgrade the 23 laptops that are running Vista to XP.

It’s all lip service and the 3250 user deployment you just lost was well deserved. Bravo! Please give Mike Nash my thanks!

8. Bradon Gauss says:

If TechNet’s plan was to turn us all into pirates, allow us to sympathize with the torrent sites, hack registry commands to pretend we’re part of a beta program, and understand in a nutshell what is causing all the Vista problems-the leadership well congratulations on a job well done. Just when we thought the whole Vista scene couldn’t sink any lower, here we are in the bottom layers of the abyss.

9. Bradon Gauss says:

If TechNet’s plan was to turn us all into pirates, allow us to sympathize with the torrent sites, hack registry commands to pretend we’re part of a beta program, and understand in a nutshell what is causing all the Vista problems-the leadership- well congratulations on a job well done. Just when we thought the whole Vista scene couldn’t sink any lower, here we are in the bottom layers of the abyss.

10. Inquirer says:

So, what Nash is saying, in essence, is that the SP1 update process breaks a small number of hardware drivers that installed fine under Vista and still install okay under Vista after SP1 is applied. For that, Microsoft is withholding SP1 from all of its TechNet and MSDN subscribers.

He makes it sound like these problems are the hardware manufacturers’ faults. He further writes, "We are working with the manufacturers of these devices to get the drivers and their install programs updated, and also working on other solutions we can use to ensure a smooth customer experience when updating to SP1 over Windows Update." The last phrase suggests there are more problems. Great.

You’d think Microsoft might somehow get something right about Windows Vista, especially when it comes to the magical Service Pack 1 that’s expected to make Vista at least usable for most people and perhaps even borderline attractive for more of Microsoft’s small and medium business users and more importantly, the developers and consultants that support them and help funnel billions of dollars Microsoft’s way. But nooo, you’d be wrong.

Time to throw Vista out along with the upper management babies and the stinky bath water.

11. An unhappy TechNet user says:

What a debacle. What’s in store for Vista SP2? Is Microsoft planning on charging MSDN and TechNet users extra to download it? I wouldn’t doubt it for a second. I mean, if you’re going to do something piss-poor, why not just go all the way and really screw your most important user base? Abysmal we all had to beg, scream, and write all over the blogosphere for this to happen.

12. MSDN Subscriber says:

Oh goodie. It’ll be at least three weeks after we’ve all downloaded it from the pirate sites. Hilarious. Why do I pay for TechNet again? Remind me.

13. Matt Hester says:

Thank you so much for commenting and giving feedback as direct and as open as everyone did.  I debating on this writing this post, several times but I was afraid that I would be seen as ignoring the elephant in the room if I did not.  The last thing I think I am in us a MS stooge, and do not feel sorry for me, I honesty I wanted your raw feedback.

As for the bits, I am always a little leery about non ms sites, just be careful out there if you really need the bits.  I do know the dates have been aggressively moved up to make this situation better.  I know you’re unhappy, and we are too.   I am doing everything I can to make sure your feedback is heard with the PG.  So again thank you for the feedback, I am making sure you are being heard!!!

Regarding slipstreaming, see Kevin’s  post at: http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde/archive/2008/02/09/i-can-t-do-what-why-can-t-i-create-my-own-slipstreamed-installation-of-windows-vista-sp1.aspx.

If you still want to give more feedback I encourage you go the vista blog as well as keep posting here( I will always listen): http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2008/02/11/windows-vista-sp1-availability-for-technical-customers.aspx

14. AndyS. says:

Thank you Matt for letting us know the scoop. I’m not happy, but can certainly wait expecially knowing it’s the same as RC1.

15. SLIP says:

Speaking of slipstreaming:

Slipstreaming, WIM, whatever you want to call it is still so beyond ridiculous it’s amazing. Can’t we just solve this problem once and for all? Why can’t we just run a single command that looks at a separate directory of updates we specify, figures out which ones are newer or drivers that are not present, and simply adds them to a new set of installation setup files. It should be that easy. Really. The Microsoft engineers are WAY overengineering this process.

Now we have to reimage desktops? Services packs that have to reboot 3-4 times and take an hour or more to install? The prefetch was so messed up the existing data could not be saved and the machine is sluggish after updating for DAYS? Who thought of this kludge for the MOST IMPORTANT service pack Microsoft has ever released?

It’s no use trying to pretend otherwise, we didn’t do a great job on making Vista SP1 available. Some

17. Roger says:

So when will someone have the b@!!s from Microsoft to address us and tell us what happened and what steps are being taken internally so that this NEVER EVER happens again?

I’m quite serious about this request. We’ve been shafted and I think we deserve an explanation this time around.

18. Pain says:

Now the pre-requisits are causing major problems? Good grief, can the Vista team not do ANYTHING right? Are you guys not embarassed beyond belief? Where is Microsft in all of this? They aren’t saying a thing and giving us as little information as possible.

Please, next time, it would be nice is Microsfot kissed us first before bending us over. No, I don’t normally post rude messages. Yes, I’m mad. I just had my home computer endlessly reboot after installing the update. I have RIGHT to be mad and Microsoft NEEDS to tell us what in the name of hell is going on.

19. Matt Hester says:

We are trying to make it right and I am delivering your feedback unfiltered up the chain, I also encourage everyone give direct feedback through the vista’s team blog.  Trust me I have been shouting at the mountain tops to make this as right as I can.  Trust me I, like you  did not enjoy this, and when things like this happen I am doing all I can to impact positive change!